Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

02 2wd suburban Stuck in the mud.

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2015, 6:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 2wd suburban Stuck in the mud.

I drive sometimes in a muddy area and want to buy something incase I ever get stuck in the mud as I had a close call. I had to take Track assist off and rocked back and forth real quick.

I have a Truck vault. Since, I am driving more I want to start carrying important items incase of a break down.

So really this is a 2 part question

What is a cheap cheap alternative to a big winch system. I was looking at some 5 ton manual winches. Any Ideas incase I am stuck. I always keep my tires in good condition, as My suburban is a road warrior, A lot of highway driving.

Other then the most obvious road tools to have, What kind of spare parts should I keep. Since its easy to change should I carry a extra belt?

Any advice too a fourm new comer.

Thanks.
Old March 26th, 2015, 6:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Even a $30 come-a-long will pull a vehicle out of the mud in most cases. Get a bit more capable one, with a higher weight rating. A 20 or 25 ft. tow strap, hooks for each end, then add a length of STRONG rope in case you have to hook onto something a distance away, maybe 100 ft. of 5/8 braided. Cable is of course better than rope, but not many people want to carry lengths of cable around with them.

Yes to a belt! Make sure you have replacement fuses for every fuse in the truck, there's usually some spares in the fuse box already but add more. If you are really trying to be ready, you could carry a set of radiator hoses and heater hoses and a spare thermostat. That's what comes to mind quickly.

And maybe a AAA membership!
Old March 26th, 2015, 7:37 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info. I was looking at that 30 dollar 8000lb manual come along at Harbor Freight. I bought the suburban with the truck vault. I use it for hunting but it has 2 draws and goes all the way up too the back seats. So I have plenty of storage space. The only problem I have had so far with the sub. Is of course that dam Chevy clunk on the intermediate steering shaft. And the roof rack leaked at the bolts and rusted out underneath so I bondoed it up and looks great. Threw the roof rack away. Bought the vehicle used but so far I have not had any problems and its been 5 years. I like to be proactive when it comes to preventative care.

I love Chevy as there is so much room to work on stuff in the engine compartment. Most things are easy to change. Most, Not everything. And I am by far no expert, I just go on youtube in look at a diy video.

Tyler
Old March 27th, 2015, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the Forum Cobra.

Sounds like you're getting some good advice/ideas here.
I do mud occasionally, and when I know I'm going to get into it, I carry four 2"x8"x6' boards and a high lift jack. Just jack it up, and slip the boards under the wheels and drive out.
I have street tires on my ride, and even though I'm 4WD there are situations I'm unwilling to get into. 4WD is great, BUT, having a good set of mud Tires is almost as good, and mandatory if you mud regularly.

Besides the Belt and Fuses that already have been suggested, I carry a Power Pack (compressor/battery booster w/cables/light/USB) and an extra set of Battery Cables.
Old March 28th, 2015, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

ditto for a good set of mud tires. I work on a lot of oil field trucks; the oem tires come off before they are out the door.

I used to load my car up for every emergency. probably 100 lbs of equipment....used it once and then got AAA. Survival kit is all I carry now. I don't off-road however.
Old March 29th, 2015, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HA, 100 lbs is a lot of surviving !

My basics would include...
Water
Energy Bars
Toilet Paper
Someway to charge my Cell Phone or have other means of communication (CB/whatever).

I try to think 12 hours minimum...
Old March 29th, 2015, 1:42 PM
CF Junior Member

Toilet paper... that's funny. I didn't ever think of that one! I guess paper towels and shop rags could do the job...

On the other hand I find spare fluids really helpful... if you've got a leak, you might not be able to fix it with what you have on hand, so you can just fill up whatever's leaking until you can get to an auto parts store.

-Bottled Water (to drink)

-Coolant (i carry several jugs of 50/50 premix, but i was carrying some 100% and distilled water before for for the cooling system, don't put regular water in)

-Oil (I have an entire case of like 24 quarts or something from Costco, overkill but i was planning an oil change at some point and never got around to it)

-ATF (my local 7-11 has it for cheaper than auto parts stores, as silly as that sounds)

Other things you could have are brake fluid, power steering fluid, differential fluid, but I don't bother - at that point just call AAA.

I carry all of the tools I own in my Yukon. Sure, I don't have any more space for other stuff and I probably get worse fuel economy, but I don't own that many tools, and it's convenient. A mix of Harbor Freight cheap stuff, a decent Craftsman socket set, and random better quality tools I've found or bought.

Last edited by mistaake; March 29th, 2015 at 1:46 PM.