Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

03 Tahoe no rear heat

Old November 12th, 2007, 11:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Tahoe no rear heat

I have an 03 Tahoe. The rear heat only blows cold air. I've read about an actuator that can be replaced. Does anyone know the approximate cost if I do it myself? Is there a way I can manually set it to stay on for heat and just adjust the air volume? A part number would be helpful if anyone has done it.

Thanks, Mike
Old November 13th, 2007, 2:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 03 Tahoe no rear heat

Must be cold in your neck of the woods.

I dont have an answer, but wanted to welcome you. Welcome to ChevroletForum.com!!!!!!!!!!!

Old November 13th, 2007, 9:30 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike,
Go to www.gmpartsdirect.com. click on catalog, and then open the alternate catalog. Put in your vehicle information and then follow the trail through the air conditioner & heater, Aux, AC and heater unit, to the actuator. Click on temperature valve and then click on the "view illustration". This will show you the exploded view of the aux unit, and you can see the actuator. Costs are there too. Good luck.
Old November 15th, 2007, 3:34 PM
CF Beginner

Wow. Just did it today.Available on EBAY for about $30-50. The OEM part number is604100.
Pull off right rear panel covering wheel well by taking plastic screw andcargo net **** off. Theres another screw towards the passenger door that needs to come off. If you have the bose speaker that will come off as well, and so will the cigarette lighter power wires so be careful when you pull it. There are three silver screwa that hold the actuator and a power wire. Disconnect them all and then replace. This is the second one for me, the last time, the dealer charged me $240.00.....Good luck

Old November 19th, 2007, 11:57 AM
CF Beginner

I got the cover off and determined which actuactor was not working. Have it ordered. Nice to know that you can manually switch it to get some heat.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 5:17 AM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem on a 1999 - NO REAR HEAT- just cold air. Could it be the same problem?

Thanks!
Old December 5th, 2007, 12:49 PM
CF Beginner

Word of caution, when using www.gmpartsdirect.combe careful not to trust their online catalog. I entered in all my vehicle's info and was directed to a part which I ordered. Turns out it was not the correct part and they don't take returns.Fine print says to verify the part with them prior to ordering. Hard to tell if it's the wrong part until you have it in your hand to compare the numbers.They don't offer part number on their online catalog. They don't claim any responsibility for the use of thier catalog. Kind of a loose excuse if you ask me.
Old December 5th, 2007, 6:14 PM
CF Beginner

My tahoe has the auto functions for the rear. The part numbers are the same for the two actuators so I swapped to them to verify the fix and now neither one works. When the climate control is turned on it moves all the way in one direction and will not go back. Does it matter what position it is in when it is put in?

I ended up taking the actuator apart and setting it so that it blows hot and put it back on disconnected.
Old December 6th, 2007, 6:22 AM
CF Beginner

Brental-I just left mine completely off until I get replacements. You can move the small stub that fits into the actuator and it will stay in that position. I have mine set on heat with the air coming out of the roof. I tried to switch mine to see which one was not working too. Now neither one of mine work either. They must be touchy.
Old December 8th, 2007, 2:34 PM
CF Beginner

Hi, I've got the same problem 03 tahoe. Blower and mode selector works from both controls. Got an after market part (After two tries as catalog list wrong part #), but new temp door actuator still doesn't work. I've verified the temperature sensors both work and the wiring from the actuator to the controller is good. Any other ideas? Can the controller be partially bad? I've also disasembeld both actuators and reassembled, seemed like the controller power needed to be cut to "reset" the actuators, the mode actuator wroked after rebuild, but not the temp door and they did not seem like they wanted to be switched from one place to the next.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 03 Tahoe no rear heat