Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

> 05 Suburban Ac Only Thru Defrost Vents & Hot Only On Driver Side, 05 Suburban AC on

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2011, 9:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default > 05 Suburban Ac Only Thru Defrost Vents & Hot Only On Driver Side, 05 Suburban AC on

2005 Suburban 1500 w/dual-zone manual (non-digital) adjustment

Problem started with cold air only on driver's side, passenger side fine. I should add that at this time the mode switching was working fine.

Found a post with a similar issue and followed the instructions. Now the issues have gotten worse.

Steps I took:
(1) Found blend acuator on driver's side. disconnected, removed, clean-up and re-greased. plugged in without installing to make sure it worked. The little cogs turned when powered up and things seemed to be working fine. Still had issue with only blowing cold, but mode switching stilled worked.

(2) Located acuator on passenger side under the dash. Pulled it, cleaned and re-greased. Plugged into the driver's side to test the acuator with power. The little cogs turned and then stopped. Should mean that it is good, right? Re-installed and tried the re-calibration steps (hold a/c button 5 sec, ....) The driver side is now blowing hot and the mode switching does not work - it is stuck on the defrost vent

With both acuators working originally, I thought it might be the control box so I replaced it. The lights were all burned out anyway. This was not the problem, obvioulsy, so I am back to square one.

I have tried taking the 10 amp hvac fuse under the hood and let it re-calibrate, but with no success.

Sorry for the long post and I hope I provided enough detail where I might get some help. Thanks in advance.
Old January 30th, 2011, 7:07 AM
CF Beginner

I have an 04 Suburban Z71 with the same problem with no heat on the driver's side. Questions: 1) where is the driver's side actuator and how was it removed. 2) how did you test the mode switch to make sure that it was working.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old April 7th, 2011, 2:30 AM
CF Beginner

I had the same problem with my 04 yukon, got tired of it and traded it in for new car.
Old August 6th, 2012, 12:01 AM
CF Beginner

have the same problem 2004 silverado i replace the battery now cold air only blows thru the defrost vent I've been reading about actuator under gas peddle when i turn ignition i see actuator it turns all the way up then back down with out starting the truck please bear with me so i did same thing to a friend same truck and the actuator does not moved till ac is turn on and and vent switch to cab the actuator all the way up when put to defrost it all the way which mind is stuck in
Old August 6th, 2012, 10:17 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

One thing I learned when changing my actuator was that you never power it up unless it is installed. If you do power it up it will go too far and jam rendering it useless. I took mine apart and reset the gears to get it to work. It took some time to do this but I didn't have to wait for another one or have to pay for another one.