Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old August 4th, 2015, 6:27 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

07 oil pressure sensor/switch location

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2012, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
What year and model of vehicle?
It would be best to have the oil pressure checked as the pump could be failing. The loss of the engine is the worst case.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 3:43 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Frank Pattison,

As previous poster paintit posted, it may be a sensor problem. However, that is not a diagnosis, just a suggestion. When the check engine light stays on, it could mean numerous things. I would encourage you to take the vehicle in for an inspection, better safe than sorry.

If you would like, if you PM me your VIN number, I can research your vehicle further.

I look forward to your response.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 28th, 2012, 9:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by paintit
Replaced sensor without removing manifold. Took longer and some inginuity but with a shorty ratchet it worked fantastic. Saved me big$.
I need to do exactly the same repair. I would love to know exactly what size wrench and socket you used to do the work.
Old January 28th, 2012, 7:34 PM
CF Beginner

OK, so this thread gave me the encouragement to attempt the fix myself. So, Michael it was a major PITA but I was able to make it happen. After disconnecting the brake booster hose, I was able to fit a 27mm socket over the sending unit and get the failed sender off. Getting the new sender on was a real challenge having to get it threaded blindly. Lastly was getting the electrical connection back in place. It turns out that jacking up the body for a little extra clearance made all the difference.
Old January 29th, 2012, 2:21 PM
CF Beginner

I used a shorty ratchet and bought a oxygen sensor socket for the ratchet.
Its tough to get to locate so i took mirror on a pole extender and a good flashlight to locate it. then it was just a matter of getting the socket positioned right to get it on the sensor. once it was on (straight) the rest was a snap. I put the socket on first to make sure it was on correct. Also I used a swivel head on the ratchet, to make it a little easier to manuver.
Good luck. Let me know how you made out.
Old February 24th, 2012, 11:06 AM
CF Beginner

Mr. Pattison, I have had the exact same issue on three occasions. Each time the solution was an oil change but the important factor was the filter. I had been having changes at a big chain but they have switched to cheap filters. The filters seem to keep collapsing. I have changed to doing the oil changes myself and using synthetic oils and a top grade filter. Its a little pricier but it also alleviates the oil consumption issue to a certain degree. This balances the cost a bit. However I have just had the oils sender fail and was on line searching that solution out when I noticed your comment. It is not a good idea to drive it if you are not SURE you are getting oil.
Every single time it happened I limped home and changes the oil.
Old April 11th, 2012, 7:13 PM
CF Beginner

Has anyone else done this repair without taking off the manifold. Any further input besides what is above? I'm looking at the pages in the manual, but I want to do it without that hassle. Dealership wants $125 for the labor to replace it. I have done most of my own work on all 3 of my vehicles (including the complete top end on my Typhoon) and feel I could wiggle in there and do it. Anyone also know what type of sealant I am supposed to use on the threads?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Old April 11th, 2012, 9:50 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

fighting5thsvt Welcome to the forum...
If you read post #8 in this tread you will see that it can be done without removing the manifold...
Old April 12th, 2012, 10:18 AM
CF Beginner

I read all of the posts. Just throwing it out there to see if anyone else had any pointers or tricks.

Thank you for the welcome--glad to be here and to have stumbled onto this forum...
Old May 2nd, 2012, 8:31 AM
CF Beginner

Hello all. I just replaced the oil pressure sensor on my wife's 2006 Yukon (5.3 engine). I was able to replace with only removing the plastic intake cover and the air intake (from air cleaner to throttle body). This required loosening three 5/16 screws (one on intake cover and two clamps on air intake) and four screws (air cleaner cover). These were removed to ensure they weren't cracked as I laid across engine to reach back of engine on the drivers side (right side) to remove the sensor. Location is directly under firewall before back of engine meets the transmission. I used a 3/4" drive, two 6" 3/4" extensions, ¾” swivel, and a Autozone Oil pressure sensor socket #25254 to remove the sensor. I will try and add pictures for location and to show what I removed. Took 15min max and corrected the issue with the oil pressure guage jumping around and chiming. Hopefully this will help
Pictures as promised:
Plastic intake cover removed (one 5/16 bolt):<O></O>
<O></O>
Air intake (from air cleaner to throttle body - two 5/16 clamp screws and 4 air cleaner screws:<O></O>

Oil sensor socket from Autozone:<O></O>

Driver, extensions, swivel, and socket:<O></O>

Location of sensor when laying on top of engine towards windshield:<O></O>

Another view:<O></O>

Quick Reply: 07 oil pressure sensor/switch location