Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

07 outside mirror glass removal

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2006, 9:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 07 outside mirror glass removal

Several have asked about fixing the loose (vibrating) glass by removing and adjusting it themselves. I need to remove my old (cracked mirror) so I can put new glass in. Does anyone know how to remove the OE driver's side glass? It sounds like it pops back in place. If that's not the case... a little help in this area would be nice too.

Thanks in advance
Old September 25th, 2006, 2:49 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 07 outside mirror glass removal

Mirror Face Replacement
Removal Procedure

Caution: Approved safety glasses and gloves should be worn when performing this procedure to reduce the chance of personal injury.

Notice:
When servicing electrochromic glass that is broken, or if glass breaks during servicing, be cautious not to spill electrochromic fluid onto vehicle. Doing so will cause damage to the vehicle.

Position the mirror face outward on a angle with the mirror housing.

Remove the mirror face as follows:
1. Position the hand in the center of the mirror face.

2. Apply light pressure.

3. Push upward releasing the motor retainers from the mirror back.

4. Holding the mirror face, disconnect the electrical connectors from the back of the mirror.

Installation Procedure

Position the mirror face on a angle to the mirror housing.

Install the mirror face as follows:
1. Holding the mirror face, connect the electrical connectors to the back of the mirror.

2. Position the mirror face to the motor retainer tabs.

3. Position the hand in the center of the mirror face.

4. Apply light pressure to the face.

5. Push downward and inward to lock in place.

6. Inspect the mirror face for proper operation.

Hope this helps.

Dave
Old September 25th, 2006, 2:02 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks alot!!

I just replaced the broken glass. I was not able to remove mine by just pressing upward on the face of the glass with my hand. I did that but also LIFTED upward with a wide, short, flat blade screw driver on the bottom edge of the glass housing. I tried for a very long time to use the described method wih no luck. I also had to press downward the same way to get it to click in. It just would not go otherwise. To anyone trying this, use the hand only at first but don't be surprised if it takes a litle more force than you are first willing to give it.

Thanks again
Old August 9th, 2007, 5:02 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced the mirror glass on one side of my Tahoe.I just popped the mirror covers off( upper and lower) and disengaged two of the accessible tabs that hold the mirror in place and then the mirror popped out very easily.I couldnt do it the other way so I dug deap and I feel for me this was an easier method.The mirror covers practically pop off on their own if your get it just right.
Old August 9th, 2007, 7:18 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Removing the caps makes the job easier you just have to be careful with the little lock tabs on the caps as they can break off easily.

GM doesn't want those ham-fisted gorillas (aka: service tech's) using this method or there will be a plethora of mirror caps submitted for warranty replacement.
Old August 11th, 2007, 3:09 PM
CF Veteran

I could not, for the life of me, remove the caps. Could someone post a good how to?
Old May 25th, 2009, 11:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SENECA
I just replaced the mirror glass on one side of my Tahoe.I just popped the mirror covers off( upper and lower) and disengaged two of the accessible tabs that hold the mirror in place and then the mirror popped out very easily.I couldnt do it the other way so I dug deap and I feel for me this was an easier method.The mirror covers practically pop off on their own if your get it just right.
Can you give me more detail on how you disengaged the tabs? I see the tabs, but can't figure out how to get them disengaged from the mirror.