Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

07 Power lift Gate-Drains Battery

Old December 29th, 2010, 3:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Power lift Gate-Drains Battery

I purchased a used 2007 Tahoe which I love so far except for one issue . . . if we use the power lift gate more than once or twice when the vehicle is not running it drains the battery. Then we have to jump it to get started. It took us a while to figure out what was causing it but every time it's happened we had used the power lift gate. Has anyone else had this problem? I haven't taken it to the dealer yet but wondered if any of you had found a solution.

Thanks! Liz
Old December 29th, 2010, 8:34 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is a lot of information on this site and the Internet about battery issues on this truck. 1st make sure your battery is good, if stock it is probably bad anyway. We have all had battery/charging issues for various reasons. there could be many reasons why you are having issues, could just be the battery or could be other charging system issues that your local dealer could help confirm that you have the update installed on your PCM
Old December 29th, 2010, 9:02 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Like he said, there's a software update for the charging system to help w/ battery drain.
Old December 30th, 2010, 10:50 AM
RJK
CF Junior Member

I just had the same issue with my 2007 Suburban. The battery was bad. When I bought the new battery the guy told me he see/replaces a ton of bad battery's in 2007 Tahoe/Suburbans.

My vote your battery is Bad, most places that sell batteries will do a free test on the battery.

Good Luck
Old December 30th, 2010, 11:00 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info everyone! I had the battery checked after the first time it happened and was told that it was still good. Is there a brand of battery that seems to work better with this vehicle . . . or one that I should steer clear of if/when I do need to replace it?
On a side note: It sat at in airport parking lot for 4 days when the temps were near zero a few weeks ago. When I returned it fired right up. I thought that if the battery were bad that might have been the true test. Liz
Old December 30th, 2010, 11:41 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you are right about sitting for 4 days in very cold weather, that would probably kill a bad battery. If it is the original battery I would still replace it ASAP before it does die on you. if you replace one just get the most CCA (cold cranking amps) you can for your budget. The stock has 615 I think, you can spend $70 - $250 and get 700+ pretty easy. I just put in the Duralast Platinum that has 750 CCA and 950 CA.
Old December 30th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

IT would be wise to have the gas struts checked out also, if they are weak it will make the motor work harder and draw more current to lift the door, consider having the struts replaced or at least checked, if you do replace be sure to do them in pairs....
Old December 30th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Administrator

IMPORTANT: if you replace them yourself have a helper on hand the rear hatch is heavy.
As a general safety practice also remove the portion that connects to the hatch last and reattach the new one to the hatch first, should you loose grip of the door this prevents the unattached end of the strut from punching thru the glass if the hatch is dropped....
Old December 30th, 2010, 8:46 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Sage advice. Hope it didn't come from a bad experience.

Liz: If it's the original battery, then you're on borrowed time.
Old December 30th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Administrator

Actually I think it was your advice sensei 73shark, I think you may have mentioned it in a previous conversation regarding a Z28 that was once in your possession.. I could be wrong thou....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 07 Power lift Gate-Drains Battery