Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

07 sub with all the bells an whistles...think I wanna go aftermarket headunit

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2009, 4:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 sub with all the bells an whistles...think I wanna go aftermarket headunit

I've lasted over 2 years with a stock system, and my buddy keeps getting the latest and greatest pioneer double din units and I think I want to go completely aftermarket.

my 07 2500 sub has all the toys, nav, rear seat dvd, backup camera, etc. Plus all the aftermarket toys, bluetooth thru the factory speakers, lockpick for dvd/nav inputs while moving, ipod adapter etc.

do I have to remove everything to put something aftermarket in? Is there a way to adapt into the rear seat stuff (well I've used it like 3x's since I don't have kids but dammit if its there and I paid for it I wanna reuse it) the rear camera (this is key since I trailer regularly and parallel park daily), xm etc.

if I pulled everything I wouldn't reuse.....whats going rate (ballpark) for all of the stuff if I wanted to have someone upgrade (plus the gm lockpick, ipod adapter, motorola i1000 bluetooth stuff)

bose is decent but I'd probably pull all of that as well, and just put some aftermarket amps and speakers, and a stealthbox in the console as well.

h'mm......could this be someone's lucky day who wants a soup to nuts upgrade over the base stuff??

comparing that this truck is still stock, when my 2000 tahoe limited got a flip up screen, dvd nav, 3 amps, a fortune in focal speakers, and subs when that was all exotic stuff and you couldn't even get factory bose (back in the day) is probably saying alot....I can't leave much alone. Hell the truck lasted 6 months before it was used to design a supercharger kit.

Last edited by undertaker; September 16th, 2009 at 4:37 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 1:38 PM
CF Junior Member

I don't know if it would be worth it to scrap the stock system. You seem to have the best of everything already.

My '07 came with the standard CD/XM radio. No Bose, DVD, camera or anything. I recently upgraded to a Kenwood DNX8120 DVD/NAV head unit. I got it off ebay for $850. That was a bargain because Crutchfield wanted $1500. I also had to get a rearview camera (Kenwood CCD-900), ipod adapter, and sirius brain. Those I got off ebay too.

I had to get a PAC-SWI adapter for the steering wheel contols and a PAC OS-4 adapter for the factory harness (OnStar and factory cchimes). I got those new from Crutchfield. They are very good, if you call them and tell them what you have and what you want to do, they will tell you everything you need to get.

I was lucky and got a JL Audio Stealthbox and JL amp from friend who traded in his Tahoe for an Escalade. The box wouldn't fit in the Escalade.

My original plan was to do the install myself but when i saw the wires on the factory adapters I said hell no!

All together I spent about $2000 for everything and installation at a local shop. It would have been alot more if everthing was new!

Last edited by Rich E; October 3rd, 2009 at 1:59 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 2:43 PM
Ride of the Month
August 2009

Originally Posted by Rich E
I don't know if it would be worth it to scrap the stock system. You seem to have the best of everything already.
I'd have to agree with Rich E here.

Deez
Old October 3rd, 2009, 5:03 PM
CF Junior Member

I would ask an advisor from Crutchfield. If you just want to replace the headunit and keep everything else, I'm sure they sell a factory adapter harness from PAC or Metros for that. They run about $200. I've replaced just about every radio in every vehicle I've ever owned and used Crutchfield for years with no problems.

If you're going to go with the Stealthox, you will have to remove the Bose because it takes up the space below the center console. My amp is installed behind the rear seat on the passenger side.

Last edited by Rich E; October 3rd, 2009 at 5:24 PM.
Old October 4th, 2009, 9:33 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Rich E

My '07 came with the standard CD/XM radio. No Bose, DVD, camera or anything. I recently upgraded to a Kenwood DNX8120 DVD/NAV head unit. I got it off ebay for $850. That was a bargain because Crutchfield wanted $1500. I also had to get a rearview camera (Kenwood CCD-900), ipod adapter, and sirius brain. Those I got off ebay too.

I had to get a PAC-SWI adapter for the steering wheel contols and a PAC OS-4 adapter for the factory harness (OnStar and factory cchimes). I got those new from Crutchfield. They are very good, if you call them and tell them what you have and what you want to do, they will tell you everything you need to get.

I was lucky and got a JL Audio Stealthbox and JL amp from friend who traded in his Tahoe for an Escalade. The box wouldn't fit in the Escalade.

My original plan was to do the install myself but when i saw the wires on the factory adapters I said hell no!

All together I spent about $2000 for everything and installation at a local shop. It would have been alot more if everthing was new!

it might help to say a good buddy owns a car audio shop and is a dealer for JL/pioneer, does a bunch of demo cars for pioneer here in the NY area.

the bose sounds ok, but the second row door speakers are absolute garbage, and all the stupid adapters I have to use to try and use my navigation, phone etc. are just getting plain annoying, besides the fact I'm not a fan of the factory nav vs aftermarket...they label minor streets much better (I'm in NYC and thats a major issue)

if I told you I have a fortune in door speakers in my vette (focal polykevlar 4 inch components with the 6.5 add on midbass, with 150 watts rpm per door, thats loud as hell engine wise and rarely gets driven, because I couldn't stand the bose in that either.........I'm just not a really big fan of bose audio, its decent.....but I've always found aftermarket to have better offerings...
Old October 4th, 2009, 12:26 PM
CF Junior Member

Go for it! Definitely check out ebay. You might be able to find some deals. I got my Kenwood from a guy who had to return his leased vehicle. You could also offset some of the cost be selling the factory stuff there too.