Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

07" Suburban oil gulping!

Old November 18th, 2014, 8:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07" Suburban oil gulping!

07" Burb, 106.000 babied miles. Time for a new crate motor. Only $6500 installed. I used to wonder why everyone bought imports! Time to join them.
Old November 19th, 2014, 7:42 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
Have you had the shield installed or had the PCV replaced? both of those items address some of the consumption issues...
There is also a bulletin about rings needing to be replaced, may also want to consider lifter replacement while there if you go that way... all of the above are considerable less costly than a whole new engine....
Old November 19th, 2014, 7:33 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
Welcome to the forum...
Have you had the shield installed or had the PCV replaced? both of those items address some of the consumption issues...
There is also a bulletin about rings needing to be replaced, may also want to consider lifter replacement while there if you go that way... all of the above are considerable less costly than a whole new engine....
$5300 for new Pistons and rings, $6500 for new motor. Burning 1 1/2 qts in 500 miles! You think the shield and pcv is the issue? Rings are the issue. Looked at new LTZ's at the dealer yesterday, only $68,000 for a 100,000 miles LOL!
Old November 19th, 2014, 7:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the purpose of the shield is to stop oil throw off from the afm valve in the oil pan from clogging the oil control rings. funny how all the oil consumption problems stopped on builds after nov 2009 when the updated valve cover and shield were installed from the factory.

that's the risk of buying a new gen truck from any manufacturer. I suggest you do that for your import.

Last edited by tech2; November 19th, 2014 at 7:50 PM.
Old November 23rd, 2014, 1:01 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by tech2
the purpose of the shield is to stop oil throw off from the afm valve in the oil pan from clogging the oil control rings. funny how all the oil consumption problems stopped on builds after nov 2009 when the updated valve cover and shield were installed from the factory.

that's the risk of buying a new gen truck from any manufacturer. I suggest you do that for your import.
Just curious about that "updated valve cover", can it be installed on an 07-08 5.3 AFM motor?

As far as the PCV, I thought this engine uses a PCV orrifice type system which is just a tube really? Not sure why you would want to replace that when simply cleaning would be effective?

My 07 has 206k on it and uses or consumes about half a quart of oil every 2k and has since I bought it. Compression numbers are in the 185-195 range on all 8 and the shield was installed somewhere along the line before I bought it. I plan on keeping it till it leaves me stranded.
Old November 23rd, 2014, 2:54 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

As I understand it the 07 has the PCV built into the valve cover assembly, ( see attached picture) to replace it you have to replace the whole valve cover.
Attached Thumbnails 07" Suburban oil gulping!-2007-pcv.jpg  
Old November 23rd, 2014, 7:08 PM
CF Beginner

UPDATE
Had Chevy soak the cylinders on friday to see if it would help. Fresh oil change also. Took the truck upstate about 250 miles down a half qt. I guess thats normal? Big puff of blue smoke on every start up. Looking more and more like a remanufactured motor. I honestly thought you could get more then 100,000 miles out of a chevy.
Old November 24th, 2014, 7:22 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default well...

not always.

But if you want about 99.99% less moving, wearing parts, the Model X can tow

World's first electric vehicle that can TOW.

I have no idea how much, or how it impacts range, but I still think that's very cool.

And with ONE moving part from the power-plant, I don't see much to go wrong.

Also, 8 year UNLIMITED mile warranty on the power-train.

I did actually get 265,000 from my 1995 Tahoe before I sold it, and with 90,000 on my 09 Tahoe, the engine is still going strong...

The 07s (from what I've read here) were subject to issues with the AFM and oil burn rates.

You may try to contact GM about that and see if they can do anything w/your engine replacement... even 1k off would be nice of them.

Anything with 8,000 moving parts will eventually... stop moving.

Nope, 10,000 sorry.

"National Automobile Dealers Association
http://www.nada.org/Content/Navigati...eg_5_27_03.htm

"Traditional combustion cars, on the other hand are extremely complex
machines that have around 10,000 moving parts.""

Ohh, and some people have pushed the 0-60 into 3.1 seconds. (Model S)

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; November 24th, 2014 at 7:24 AM.
Old November 24th, 2014, 7:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by magician
Just curious about that "updated valve cover", can it be installed on an 07-08 5.3 AFM motor?

As far as the PCV, I thought this engine uses a PCV orrifice type system which is just a tube really? Not sure why you would want to replace that when simply cleaning would be effective?
GM P/N 12570427 for 2007-2008
cleaning won't fix a design problem. the new cover will stop xs oil from being pulled into the intake.
they have new rocker arm covers that have a relocated pcv drain hole.

Last edited by tech2; November 24th, 2014 at 7:28 AM.
Old November 24th, 2014, 3:38 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by tech2
GM P/N 12570427 for 2007-2008
cleaning won't fix a design problem. the new cover will stop xs oil from being pulled into the intake.
they have new rocker arm covers that have a relocated pcv drain hole.
I took a closer look at mine and sure enough there is a PCV in that valve cover. I never really looked back there and have been in that area a couple times replacing the oil pressure sensor (x2). I run a catch can on my PCV system but I think I will replace the valve cover and see what if anything changes. Speaking of a catch can, the OP can try one and see if that helps out his issue, costs a lot less then a new 5.3.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 07" Suburban oil gulping!