Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Transmission Failure 2010 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2019, 9:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Failure 2010 Suburban

Just had a trans failure on my 2010 4wd single speed transfer case Suburban with 221K miles. Trans was working good until it was flushed a month or so back (not at my request) and now slips badly like pushing in the clutch. I had asked to simply change the fluid and the shop took it upon themselves to flush it. I would never have requested the flush, heard to many horror stories on flushing high mileage transmissions.
1-I hear that the trans on this year suburban is very fluid specific. Is this true?
2-I have a good rebuild shop locally I have used for years with good results, so I am considering a rebuild. Also thinking a reman unit from Jasper or Street Smart. The reman carries a better warranty but for a cost. Thoughts?
I know I am getting ready to spend some bucks, but just replaced shocks and struts and the rest of the truck is in great shape. Any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks!
Happy New Year!
Old December 30th, 2019, 12:02 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by 99fxst99
Just had a trans failure on my 2010 4wd single speed transfer case Suburban with 221K miles. Trans was working good until it was flushed a month or so back (not at my request) and now slips badly like pushing in the clutch. I had asked to simply change the fluid and the shop took it upon themselves to flush it. I would never have requested the flush, heard to many horror stories on flushing high mileage transmissions.
1-I hear that the trans on this year suburban is very fluid specific. Is this true?
2-I have a good rebuild shop locally I have used for years with good results, so I am considering a rebuild. Also thinking a reman unit from Jasper or Street Smart. The reman carries a better warranty but for a cost. Thoughts?
I know I am getting ready to spend some bucks, but just replaced shocks and struts and the rest of the truck is in great shape. Any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks!
Happy New Year!
Flushing a tranny is a very bad idea. Too many horror stories like yours. No the transmission isn't picky on Dex 4. I'd use synthetic oil however.Jasper is supposed to be a good outfit.

Old July 5th, 2021, 7:51 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, to close this loop, I had a local Aamco shop rebuild it. Very good reviews and recommendations from people I know and trust. Just out of warranty the trans crapped out. Took it back, they found a broken snap ring, and fixed it at no cost. OK, still didn't act right, so I took it back. They did some engine work to the tune of about $700 and it seemed to be OK. Then it started to act funny again. By now I have lost confidence in the vehicle. So I traded it in on a 2016 Z71 Suburban, 81K miles. By trying to save money I went with the trans shop. For a few hundred dollars more I could have had a GM reman trans with 3yr warranty. Lesson learned.
Old July 6th, 2021, 1:22 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds like the shop used the wrong transmission fluid purposely hoping you'd come back for a new trans based on the old wive's tale that a transmission flush kills a transmission. There's no way a trans flush caused such a thing. I've rebuild several GM transmission 4l60e, 4l65e, 6l80e, etc, etc. They are very, very simple inside. There's nothing to "dislodge". There's nothing "holding" a high mile transmission together.
Old July 6th, 2021, 9:04 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

We had a local transmission shop rebuild the transmission in our 2005 Yukon XL Denali (6.0 Votrec engine) about 8 years ago. At 235K miles, still working fine. Cost was $2000, was worth it to us. Never had to have a follow up call; our local SAE mechanic later did a transmission service.
Old July 6th, 2021, 2:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Can it happen sure....flush machines that reverse flow and pressure pulse can cause valve body problems. exchange machines do not do this.
the other issue is old fluid when the clutch packs are near end of life...the packs don't slip due to the gritty clutch residue stuck in the clutch....fluid ex change removes this and now the clutch slips.
make sure the shop that does the replacement....has a machine that flushesthe cooler and lines at operating temp.... crud from the old lines will go into the new trans.
gm dealer have this tool and trans dedicated shops. flush from a can procucts won't heat the cooler so debris remain trapped