Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

07 Tahoe with flickering headlights

Search this Thread

Old February 14th, 2016, 10:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jlenkows
It's been a while since I've posted....

My 07 Tahoe (out of warranty) has come down with a case of flickering headlights and fog lights. The voltage gague is at 14 and the problem is happening mostly when coasting but sometimes when my foot is on the gas.

I have a feeling that the problem is the alternator, but I also saw some TSBs that resemble the issue, but didn't quite nail it on the head.

Anyone have this problem?? Anyone know what the cheap but proper fix is???
Hi, my suburban is doing the same along with interior lights and making me crazy. Did you end up finding the issue? I've had mine in to Chevy a number of times, no luck. Trying an alternator this week.
Old September 11th, 2016, 6:33 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2007 Tahoe Ltz flickering

Originally Posted by Michelle Nienkerk
Hi, my suburban is doing the same along with interior lights and making me crazy. Did you end up finding the issue? I've had mine in to Chevy a number of times, no luck. Trying an alternator this week.
any luck? Mine doing the same.
Old September 11th, 2016, 6:35 PM
CF Beginner

Default Help. Me too

So... the problem is back with a vengance!!! It's horrible. I need to find a way to get the dealer to work on this cheaper than book rate. Not happy.

Anyone else have this issue and fixed it?? Pictures of where the fix was maybe??

When the lights are flickering, the engine runs rough.
any luck? 2007 Tahoe same issue. BCm reprogrammed. And still flickering
Old September 11th, 2016, 8:13 PM
CF Beginner

Default Flickering lights

Originally Posted by Ebrooks24
any luck? 2007 Tahoe same issue. BCm reprogrammed. And still flickering
Mine was the alternator, nothing but. They first tried checking battery connections, then told me my battery was bad, neither were the issue. Alternator was the simple answer.
Old September 11th, 2016, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks for the info.

Mine was the alternator, nothing but. They first tried checking battery connections, then told me my battery was bad, neither were the issue. Alternator was the simple answer.

i bought a new battery and had the alternator checked. Did you have your alternator checked too? Or did you just get a new one hoping for the best ? I willing to try anything.

Thsnks again. E
Old September 11th, 2016, 10:55 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Ebrooks24
i bought a new battery and had the alternator checked. Did you have your alternator checked too? Or did you just get a new one hoping for the best ? I willing to try anything.

Thsnks again. E
I just asked them to go ahead and replace it, I didn't have them test it.
Old October 29th, 2016, 2:03 AM
CF Beginner

I just asked them to go ahead and replace it, I didn't have them test it.
I also had the flickering of headlights and interior lights issue, went through all the regular 'ground' and 'contact' checks. No dice. Then I thought why not test the source of electric generation with a test light...so I placed a 12v test light on the positive side of the alternator and ground side of the alternator. Test light was flickering at the source, so I made the conclusion it was the alternator/built in voltage regulator. Replaced the alternator and no more flickering. I spent too many hours testing with a volt meter, most are not sensitive enough to pick up the very fast voltage fluctuations, however a 12v test light will...one of the only times I have found a test light REALLY helpful!

PS: Thank you to everyone who posts on these forums, as they have been extremely helpful on many occasions, and I've never felt like I could contribute any additional information, until this issue arose.
Old January 13th, 2020, 2:26 PM
CF Beginner

Default Replace headlights

Sears, as expected, said the battery was fine... They tested the alternator and it too came back OK....

The problem appears to be getting worse -- all of the lighting is noticably flickering now.

I spent some time under the hood checking coil packs and wires -- all looked OK.

Popped open the power center and found the relay for the LOW FAN was up a bit -- re-seated it and testing the lights. no flicker. Could I have possibly fixed the problem???

After 20 minutes of testing, the flickering was gone.

I covered the power center up and did a final test.

It's flickering again.

My next step is to disconnect the battery and pop the power center open to check the grounds in there.

I also put a call into my dealership's service manager to see if he has any thoughts, TSBs, or known fixes.

It figures that the month after I pay the truck off, problems start happening.

Im not sure if you got your issue solved or not. I have a 2005 Suburban & the headlights were flickering on it. After taking to a mechanic, he suggested changing the headlight bulbs, due to the fact that when they ate getting ready to go out, they have the tendency to flicker. I replaced the bulbs & haven't noticed then flickering anymore. Hope this helps.....