Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

07 Tahoe - how to connect aftermarket DVD audio output to factory radio

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2007, 4:44 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 07 Tahoe - how to connect aftermarket DVD audio output to factory radio

I just installed an aftermarket overhead DVD in my '07 Tahoe LT3 with Bose system, XM,and 6-disc in-dash CD changer (no nav or factory DVD option). The overhead DVD is a Kenwood LZH-100W. The DVD player works great with the IR headphones, but not so great with the FM transmitter -- reception on my factory radio has lots of interference. What is the best way to connect the DVD player's audio output to the factory radio, if possible? Is there a way to improve the FM reception without plugging the DVD into the factory radio?

Thanks,
haidangwa
Old January 7th, 2007, 1:38 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts
Default RE: 07 Tahoe - how to connect aftermarket DVD audio output to factory radio

Do you have a choice of several FM freqs or are you stuck with just one? If choice available, might try another freq as the current one might be close to a local station. If that doesn't work, try their website for tech help or FAQs.
Old January 15th, 2007, 4:50 AM
CF Active Member

Default RE: 07 Tahoe - how to connect aftermarket DVD audio output to factory radio

I've tried all the frequencies available. Sometimes, the reception is good, sometimes not. Are there any adapters available for the '07s yet that would allow me to connect the audio line output from the DVD directly into the radio? I know there are adapters for the earlier models, but none I've seen are specifically for the '07s. Without taking the factory deck out and looking, I don't know what connection options I have available. For example, other adapters would take the place of an external CD changer, but since I have mine in-dash, I don't think I can use that as an option. The factory radio does have an auxiliary audio input on the front (1/8" connector), but that wouldn't be a clean look to connect the DVD to that input.
Old January 15th, 2007, 12:28 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call JPcustoms.com They will probably be able to give you the information you are looking for.
Old January 16th, 2007, 1:44 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You also might want to call Kenwood. I had a Sony dream dvd (aftermarket) installed in my old Silverado. I called Sony and found the cord I needed to do the direct line. Sony sold it as an additional accessory. Right now I have an Audiovox in the 07 Tahoe. I haven't looked into a direct line yet, this post just reminded me.

Yeah, the FM Modulator channels will be poor, especially if there is already a local radio channel using the same frequency. Sometimes changing channels helps, but in most cities all the channels are taken. I don't like to use the FM Modulator because the low quality forces you to turn it up louder than usual and I don't want the distortion to damage my speakers. Usually the kids wear the wireless headphones and I listen to the XM. This has been working fine for us, but it would be great to run a clean direct audio line for when we do want surround sound in the cab.
Old January 16th, 2007, 6:05 PM
CF Active Member

you should have an audio output on your overhaed and if you do you can plug it into the aux input on the front of your factory radio. if you dont have a aux input in the front of your factory radio you can always by a wired fm modulator which cut off all fm frequencies when turned on and is a lot more reliable than the fm transmitter that is built into your overhead.
Old January 17th, 2007, 7:48 AM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: xclusive

you should have an audio output on your overhaed and if you do you can plug it into the aux input on the front of your factory radio. if you dont have a aux input in the front of your factory radio you can always by a wired fm modulator which cut off all fm frequencies when turned on and is a lot more reliable than the fm transmitter that is built into your overhead.
We used the input in front of the radio. Worked better than the modulator.
Old January 17th, 2007, 9:16 PM
CF Active Member

I thought about using the factory radio's front aux input with the DVD's audio output. I've used the aux input when I used to tote my laptop along for the kids to watch movies, and the sound is great. For this overhead DVD, though, I'd like a clean look. Thanks, all. I'll look into JPcustoms. BTW, does P.I.E. make any adapters for the '07's yet?