Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Trying to figure out how much my mint 56k miles '95 Suburban 2500 is worth

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2014, 12:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to figure out how much my mint 56k miles '95 Suburban 2500 is worth

Hello everyone, I'm having trouble determining how much to ask for my 1995 GMC Suburban 2500 with 7.4 big block. It has 56,000 miles and has been garaged since we bought it new in '95. KBB says around $4500-5500.

I just want to reiterate, as per forum rules, I am not trying to sell this truck in this forum, I merely would like feedback from you guys in regards to the price point. I have it up on craigslist and have gotten a ton of replies with no one trying to haggle on my $5950 asking price. Am I charging too low?

Any insight much appreciated.

Name:  zFfMMPf.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  54.8 KB
Old January 14th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Nice looking ride. Try Auto Trader. I've sold a lot of vehicles using them.
Old January 14th, 2014, 8:41 PM
CF Beginner

Man, that’s sweet. I love the older ones in good condition-- ya get a better price ‘cause it’s older, but get the condition of low miles, and I do prefer the slightly older-school feel and look of them.

Summer of 2012 I got a ’97 K1500 LT with 74,250 on it (now it’s got 76,600). Looks like yours, but white with dark blue bottom and interior and I love that thing. Just seeing it from the dining room window makes me smile.

I’m gonna post some pics in the sticky thread when the weather clears up a bit and I get her washed up.

I’d buy yours in a minute at that price if I were looking, even though it’s more suspension and motor than I need.

Good luck with the sale.
Old January 15th, 2014, 6:41 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

If you're not in any real hurry to sell it, raise your asking price. It's definitely a "diamond in the rough," and I don't think you can use a straight blue book value with this type of vehicle. Do you have supporting documentation like full maintenance records? My only concern as a potential buyer would be that it wasn't regularly driven, and that it may have just sat, undriven, for many years, which of course is never good for a vehicle.

List it for $7500. If no one bites, then you know you're too high.
Old January 19th, 2014, 11:33 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by intheburbs
If you're not in any real hurry to sell it, raise your asking price. It's definitely a "diamond in the rough," and I don't think you can use a straight blue book value with this type of vehicle. Do you have supporting documentation like full maintenance records? My only concern as a potential buyer would be that it wasn't regularly driven, and that it may have just sat, undriven, for many years, which of course is never good for a vehicle.

List it for $7500. If no one bites, then you know you're too high.
I'm kind of wondering why you say that you can't use book value with this type of vehicle? There's nothing special about them (other than how we feel about them of course), they are not rare, and they are not really in demand. And I can tell you as a recent buyer of a 99 K2500 burb, I definitely went by book value. Local dealer had mine price at $7300. It's an LS model with the 7.4 liter, and 156k miles. NADA listed dealer retail at $4700 so that's what I offered. I got it for $4800.

If you're not in a hurry to sell, then you can price it higher in the hopes that someone will happen to come along and pay that much. But you also run the risk of having to drop your price, and once you start doing that potential buyers will just wait, knowing that you will have to keep dropping it until it's more reasonable (in their opinions).

I have bought and sold many vehicles over the years, and unless the vehicle is rare or a classic, buyers will go by book value every time.
Old January 19th, 2014, 12:31 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm simply going off the fact that 2500 Suburbans are relatively rare, especially ones with low mileage. Granted, I'm making a bit of an assumption with a GMT400, because I'm more familiar with the GMT800 and 900 platforms.

The 2500 Burbs are very desirable to RVers as tow vehicles. If I could've found an 03-06 2500 with low mileage and the big block, I'd have happily paid $1K to $2k over blue book. I couldn't find one within 500 miles, so I "settled" and bought my 08. As it was, a search on auto trader yielded two 2500s in a 250 mile radius. I ended up driving three hours to buy my Burb.

Originally Posted by Mike97
I'm kind of wondering why you say that you can't use book value with this type of vehicle? There's nothing special about them (other than how we feel about them of course), they are not rare, and they are not really in demand. And I can tell you as a recent buyer of a 99 K2500 burb, I definitely went by book value. Local dealer had mine price at $7300. It's an LS model with the 7.4 liter, and 156k miles. NADA listed dealer retail at $4700 so that's what I offered. I got it for $4800.

If you're not in a hurry to sell, then you can price it higher in the hopes that someone will happen to come along and pay that much. But you also run the risk of having to drop your price, and once you start doing that potential buyers will just wait, knowing that you will have to keep dropping it until it's more reasonable (in their opinions).

I have bought and sold many vehicles over the years, and unless the vehicle is rare or a classic, buyers will go by book value every time.
Old January 19th, 2014, 11:01 PM
CF Junior Member

I tend to agree with intheburbs, not so sure you can get much more than book value for a 19 year old Suburban. But, it looks pretty amazing and if the interior is as good then it's worth a try. I'm not sure where you are located, but where I am in the northeast you pretty much can't find a Suburban with a perfect body like yours appears to have.
Old January 20th, 2014, 8:35 AM
CF Beginner

Nice truck love the old ones Like a rock this truck is. I wouldn't use blue book or nada I would try raising price tag higher. A lower price people will wonder why.
Old January 20th, 2014, 11:18 AM
CF Beginner

I recently paid $10,000 for an 02 2500 4x4 with 8.1 litre. It's the exact vehicle I wanted and they are few and far between around here. But I still paid about the book value.