Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

07 Tahoe Tailgate Problem

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2011, 11:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Tahoe Tailgate Problem

The power tailgate on my 2007 Tahoe will not close electrically. It will open using the rocker switch in the car, the tailgate button and the key fob but will not close using any method other than manually closing it.
When it opens and nears the top of it's apex, I hear a loud pop.
Old January 13th, 2011, 9:44 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Does it try to close or make any noise when you push the close button? Does the loud pop emanate from inside the driver side housing behind the rear wheel where the mechanism is?
Old January 14th, 2011, 5:58 AM
Damien0869

Hey Bufarilo, sorry to hear about your experience of late with your Hoe. I had the exact same issue (many owners have) some time ago when I first got my beast. They (GM) first tried to reset the open/close procedure with a Tech II scanner. Upon further scrutiny of the mechanism on the driver's side rear passenger cargo area, I was advised there was infact an issue with a Lever type switch that is struck during the opening procedure. This switch is known to be weak and actually bends after some time; failing to strike a pin to stop the rear hatch at th correct height.
As a result, the rear hatch will open beyond the extension of the supporting arms and as you have described, you will hear a "pop". GM replaced the switch and it is mounted alot better than original. If you do a search you will find many other posts regarding this issue. I'm one of them.
Good Luck fella and you will eventually get to enjoy your beast once all is fixed. Hang in there, when everything works well, this vehicle is sweet!

Last edited by Damien0869; January 14th, 2011 at 6:02 AM.
Old August 10th, 2012, 6:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 07 Tahoe tailgate problem

I have the same problem....tailgate opens too far, pops, then will only close manually...works fine otherwise. I took it to the Chevy Dealer today (with a print out of your problem and fix), but was advised they needed to run a diagnostic test to make sure that was the problem. Since there were many people there before me....it was going to take hours to run the test. I was told the part I feel I need based on the info I provided is called a Full Open Switch or Actuator switch. This dealership's service dept. have not had this problem before...only problems with it closing before it's open completely...so I am not sure if they know what I need or not. Can you tell if this is correct? If you happen to have a part number...that would be GREAT! The price installed would be $180.00, or around $20 just for the part. I await your reply. Jan
Old August 13th, 2012, 2:43 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by januslee
I have the same problem....tailgate opens too far, pops, then will only close manually...works fine otherwise. I took it to the Chevy Dealer today (with a print out of your problem and fix), but was advised they needed to run a diagnostic test to make sure that was the problem. Since there were many people there before me....it was going to take hours to run the test. I was told the part I feel I need based on the info I provided is called a Full Open Switch or Actuator switch. This dealership's service dept. have not had this problem before...only problems with it closing before it's open completely...so I am not sure if they know what I need or not. Can you tell if this is correct? If you happen to have a part number...that would be GREAT! The price installed would be $180.00, or around $20 just for the part. I await your reply. Jan
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I encourage you to continue to allow your dealer to diagnose the vehicle, to find the root of the problem. A reprogram of the Power Liftgate Module software may resolve this issue. This is not a diagnosis, just a suggestion. Your certified technician will be able to offer an official diagnosis.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service