Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

07 Yukon xl issues, electrical ??

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2010, 4:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Yukon xl issues, electrical ??

My wife and i just bought a used 07 yukon , love the vehicle . We bought it with the thought that i would be a great dependable child(we have 4) hauler and could pull a camper(replaecd a van)

had it a month , going for a drive the other night i noticed it would not drop down into v-4 mode when letting off coasting etc.. within 5 minutes of noticing that ,got a message " low oil pressure shut off engine" so i did! I imediately pulled the dip stick and the oil level was up. I let it sit for a bit and restarted and the oil pressure on the gauge was low(as in about a 1/4 on the gauge so we don't confuse metric with standard on here) the engine light came on and stayed on and i drove it slowly home (gauge staying at or around 1/4, no noticable engine noise or abnormal temp. However the fuel gauge was almost at 1/4 tank when i left home ,now the low fuel light was on and the message was stating low fuel , i had only went 5 miles.(called a buddy with a scanner and the next night before he arrived with the scanner i drove it about 15 miles with the oil pressure reading 1/2 - 3/4 (as normal ) the whole time , v-4 mode was back working. the fuel gauge was back to the previous nights level. We hooked up the scanner and it gave a fault code forget the # off hand, but it basically said fault was sensor range issue , so i'm thinking we need a new oil pressure sending swith/sensor?

Wife drives yukon today about 40 miles , no issues , takes another trip ,about 20 miles in , traction control light came on , it seemed to go down on power (service tract control message came up) then the engine light flashed on and off and it sputtered (she thought it would stall) but it didn't and the engine light came on and stayed on . would not go into v-4 mode for her after that. She then drove it home. hour later i drive it all is working accept for the engine light is on.

Anyone no where to start?

my thoughts on what these issues could be

oil pressure ....need to replace sending switch
fuel gauge ..... no clue
traction control light ...there is noticeble play in the front wheel bearings when it's on a jack , but no noise(with the wheel on ) could this screw with TC?
engine light flash?.... no clue
plugging a scanner into it again tonight

not going into to v-4 mode with this stuff going on ???

i was an auto tech 20 years ago , but consider me a novice these days

Thanks In advance
scanner tonight ....1926 misfires on cyl 6 and 8 on cyl 5
<!-- / message -->
<!-- controls -->

Last edited by jmp2204; April 14th, 2010 at 7:45 PM. Reason: adding to original post
Old April 14th, 2010, 7:28 PM
CF Beginner

sorry

Last edited by jmp2204; April 14th, 2010 at 7:46 PM. Reason: delete
Old April 14th, 2010, 9:12 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Might try lifting the battery cables for 15-20 minutes. When the traction control lite comes on, it does decrease power since it thinks something is wrong. Turning the traction control off will take care of that.
Old April 15th, 2010, 8:05 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks For the reply ,. the traction control was switched off. No fault code was recorded regarding traction control either
Old April 16th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I would like to direct message you at this time jmp2204. I just want to ask a few questions about the vehicle and what you've done. Thank you for your time.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old April 24th, 2010, 5:16 PM
CF Beginner

OK oil pressure sensor replaced with an OEM sensor....the problem is worse !!! before it was intermitten low oil pressure .Now it is full time at operating temp...Anyone???
Old April 30th, 2010, 10:05 AM
CF Beginner

just to update those interested in knowing .The oil pressure issue was contaminants in the small filter/screen that filters oil before the oil sending unit. Basically what i did was changed the sending unit (intake has to come off) the new one actuually seemed to be worse , but i knew i had oil pressure. so talking to a gm tech he asked me if i changed the little filter? i didn't even know it was there. but using a mirror i found it (in the hole the sending switch threads into. I removed it, washed it out , blew back through the oil port with solvent ,then air and reinstalled everything . My oil pressure was back up to perfect(changed the oil too). I believe basically dirty oil was the issue .Although when i first received this vehicle i checked the oil, semi transparent (not real dirty) and reading 60 % life left , i didn't panick to change it.....it may also be the underlying cause of the other issues that have developed in the other thread i started .....i will update it when it is all said and done too