Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

08 Suburban 1500 Do lower pressed in ball joints have a orientation?

Search this Thread

Old October 18th, 2016, 2:37 PM
RJK
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Suburban 1500 Do lower pressed in ball joints have a orientation?

It seems the Moog brand have a marking on the boot that says "inboard" well my AutoZone ball joints say nothing.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old October 19th, 2016, 1:28 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I see nothing in the service manual in regards to orientation...I would mark the one you are removing and compare it to the replacement and make note of any bias and mount accordingly...
The Moog may have the marking simply as a courtesy to the DIY'er, maybe it has to do with when it is lubricated that the lube is distributed to the "bearing" side if you will...

Service Information
2008 Chevrolet Chevy Suburban - 2WD | Avalanche, Escalade, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document ID: 1869647
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lower Control Arm Ball Joint Replacement (W/OTorsion Bar Suspension)
Removal Procedure
Important: The following service procedure applies to vehicles equipped with cast iron lower control arms only. For those vehicles equipped with an aluminum lower control arm, the ball joint is NOT serviced separately. If the ball joint is found to have excessive wear and is damaged replace the lower control arm as an assembly.

Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle.
Remove the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation.
Remove the lower control arm from the vehicle. Refer to Lower Control Arm Replacement.
Place the lower control arm in a vise.
Using a chisel, remove the securing crimps from the ball joint body, if equipped.
Using a press, remove the ball joint from the lower control arm.
Installation Procedure
Important: Use the outer flange of the ball joint in order to press the ball joint into place.

Install the ball joint using a press.
Place the lower control arm a bench vise.
Important: Use the replaced ball joint as a reference.

Using a punch, install the crimps to the ball joint.
Install the lower control arm in the vehicle. Refer to Lower Control Arm Replacement
Install the tire and wheel. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation.
Remove the safety stand and lower the vehicle.
Verify the wheel alignment. Refer to Wheel Alignment Specifications.
Old October 19th, 2016, 1:42 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I checked All Data DIY for my 07 Tahoe and there was no mention of ball joint orientation mentioned in the repair procedure..