Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

09 Tahoe false "Rear Lift gate open" msg

Search this Thread

Old July 25th, 2015, 10:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Tahoe false "Rear Lift gate open" msg

Keep gettn rear lift gate is open. All the lights come on in the vehicle and the rear wiper is inop. The gate is automatic and will not operate when this message appears (have to manually open and close). When closing, 2 loud clunks are heard like it's trying to lock and fails and then the msg appears again. Sometimes it goes out after a few minutes but mostly, I have to pull over, open and close it manually, it sounds like it activating the lock mechanism and then there are 2 loud clunks, and then the message appears again.
Please Help...
Old July 25th, 2015, 11:43 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey JAJohnson,

Sorry for any inconvenience your rear lift gate and wiper has caused. Have you considered visiting your local Chevy Service Center, or are you mainly hoping to make repairs yourself? If you are interested in working with the dealership I'd be more than happy to contact them on your behalf. Keep us posted on your decision and send us a private message with your VIN, contact info, mileage, and preferred dealership if there's anything we can do to help.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old July 25th, 2015, 12:44 PM
CF Beginner

As I do have extended warranty, I would have to pay a $200 deductible. In addition to the lift gate problem, my passenger side mirror doesn't auto-fold anymore either. I wouldn't be opposed to taking to dealer and paying deductible, just worried the liftgate issue won't repeat or they won't fix and then I will be out my deductible and time it took to fix. I was just gonna try to fix my self
Old July 27th, 2015, 7:31 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, so even with an extended warranty, people avoid stealerships... interesting.
Old July 28th, 2015, 2:40 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

It would be my guess its the rear latch assembly located in the hatch/door, could be as simple as a adjustment or something is broken within the latch assembly...
You will need to remove the rear hatch cover to access
Old August 2nd, 2015, 1:43 PM
CF Beginner

I had a similar problem. There is a contact/micro type of switch mounted on the whole locking mechanism in the gate. Mine was green with corrosion so it was not always making contact therefore not giving any indication that it was closed. I cleaned up the switch and put some dielectric grease on it and no further issues. Now my vehicle is a 2004 Tahoe and does not have an auto gate, but if yours has this same type of switch and it thinks it is still open that is why the other functions will not work.