Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1994 suburban starts then stalls out

Old February 3rd, 2007, 10:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 suburban starts then stalls out

My wife's 94 suburban , 211,000k, 4wd runs great most of the time,,,about twice per week with no warning it will start then quickly stall out,,it will do this about 4 times before it will finally start and run good. I have changed the cap,rotor, plugs and fuel filter. I also found lots of white carbon on the coil terminal. Plug wires look good. I have tried jiggling the ignition swith while it is running to see if it will stall it out,,it won't. After it did it again today I changed the ignition module, fuel pump relay and cleaned a dirty positive battery terminal. I can't think of any other problems at this point to check???? Can anybody out there offer me any suggestions?????? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Dave (confused in Texas)
Old February 9th, 2007, 2:05 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 1994 suburban starts then stalls out

fuel pump?
Old February 9th, 2007, 10:25 AM
CF Beginner

I thought about fuel pump, but since it is only an intermitent problem like once every 4-5 days I didn't think it would be the fuel pump. Have you heard of a fuel pump failing only once in awhile? Thanks Dave
Old February 9th, 2007, 10:53 AM
CF Pro Member

ORIGINAL: dalkins1

My wife's 94 suburban , 211,000k, 4wd runs great most of the time,,,about twice per week with no warning it will start then quickly stall out,,it will do this about 4 times before it will finally start and run good. I have changed the cap,rotor, plugs and fuel filter. I also found lots of white carbon on the coil terminal. Plug wires look good. I have tried jiggling the ignition swith while it is running to see if it will stall it out,,it won't. After it did it again today I changed the ignition module, fuel pump relay and cleaned a dirty positive battery terminal. I can't think of any other problems at this point to check???? Can anybody out there offer me any suggestions?????? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Dave (confused in Texas)
Does it do this when cold start or when it's hot soak start or both ?
Old February 9th, 2007, 4:55 PM
CF Beginner

It only does it after my wife has driven it around town for a couple of trips. It has never done it when it is first starting up after sitting for a good while. Thanks Dave.
Old February 9th, 2007, 5:14 PM
CF Beginner

Forgot to mention, I changed out the ignition switch down by the firewall this week as well,,,it did not fix the problem. I was thinking of maybe changing the lock cylinder as well, just in case it is binding up the rod??????
Old February 9th, 2007, 9:07 PM
CF Beginner

When it dies, does all the electrical go out with it, or is it just the engine that dies, leaving all the dash indicator lights still on?
Old February 10th, 2007, 1:54 AM
CF Pro Member

It only does it on hot soak ...it may very well be the fuel pressure regulator.
Old February 10th, 2007, 1:56 AM
CF Pro Member

ORIGINAL: dalkins1

Forgot to mention, I changed out the ignition switch down by the firewall this week as well,,,it did not fix the problem. I was thinking of maybe changing the lock cylinder as well, just in case it is binding up the rod??????
I doubt this is the case since you say it never happens at first (cold) start.
Old February 11th, 2007, 12:54 PM
CF Beginner

I don't know for sure about all of the dash indicator lights still on. It did not stall yesterday during our trips around town. It did finally shoot a code. It was number 35 which the book says is the idle air control valve. I bought a new IAC yesterday and will be installing it today. I am thinking that maybe this could be the problem,,,,I think the IAC sends a signal to the ecm and maybe with a bac IAC the signal doesn't get to the ecm sometimes?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1994 suburban starts then stalls out