Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 tahoe tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2006, 10:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 tahoe tranny problems

I just bought brand new 2007 tahoe and after 400 miles have experienced tranny trouble. The tahoe seems to be locked up in a higher gear upon take off. The engine revs high and the vehicle barely moves, as if the tranny is slipping. If I manually drop the gear selector into "1" it seems to help get the tahoe moving. I brought it to the dealer the first time and was told it may just be a computer glich in one of the sensors for the tranny. The hooked up a diagnosis tool and only came up with some old fault codes of a voltage loss to the dashboard. The dealer reset the computer and cleared the old codes, and sent me home. The tahoe ran fine for about a week and then started acting up again. Upon starting the motor and putting it into drive (engine temp at operating temp) the tranny again seemed locked in a higher gear, 2nd or higher. The vehicle didn't want to move. It moved sluggishly and the engine revved, as if the tranny was slipping. Once the tahoe got rolling, I accellerated to see what it would do. The tahoe had trouble getting up to 40mph, and then the check engine light came on. I pulled over, shut the engine off, and turned it back on and the tranny started acting normal again. I brought the tahoe back to the dealer and told them what happened. Now that the check engine light came on, they were able to down load fault codes from the vehicle's computer. They told me there was transmission fault codes between the 2 and 3 gear shift points. The dealer told me that the codes indicated there was a problem, but since the tranny was not acting up at this moment, they didn't know what to replace at this point. The dealer kept the tahoe and attempted to duplicate the tranny problem with no luck. It ran fine for them. So, the dealer doesn't know where to go with the problem. They called Detroit (GM) and GM advised them it may be a piece of aluminum casting that broke off in the tranny and is hanging up a solenoid or valve in the tranny. So no the tahoe is going to a GMC dealer which is larger than my chevy dealer to have them drop the fluid and filter and inspect the tranny for this piece of mystery metal. In the mean time I am paying 550 dollars a month for the dealer's mechanic's to drive this thing around to diagnose.
IF ANYONE HAS HAD SIMILAR TROUBLE PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I told my dealer that someone on this forum had a similar problem (cowgirlundrcvr) and even the dealer encouraged me to get in touch with this person to determine what the fix was for their vehicle. This way my dealer would be able to go right to the problem. I sent a message to cowgirlundrcvr and have not received a message back. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old September 23rd, 2006, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts
Default RE: 2007 tahoe tranny problems

Most dealers offer what Chevrolet calls "courtesy transportation" when they need to keep your vehicle overnite. Might want to check with yours. If they feign ignorance, point to the back flyleaf on the 2007 Tahoe brochure where it discusses this.
Old September 24th, 2006, 2:01 PM
CF Active Member

They're ( the dealer ) the experts. If they can't fix it, tell Them You want a new car. Lemon Law! They'll find the problem and fix because They don't want to give You another 40K+ vehicle for free. If no satisfaction, call the manufacturers representative for Your area. You can get the phone number from the dealer.
Old September 25th, 2006, 12:54 AM
CF Junior Member

I had the tranmission problem. I took off from a red light and felt a huge slip, the engine revved high, and it wouldn't go. I had to shift to LOW 1 to get it to move...other gears shot. Drove it slowly to the dealership and it baffled them. They brought-in their "transmission guy" and he found a broken sprag and had to replace the clutch. 1 week of down time...

Stonebriar Chevy in Frisco, TX handled the repair. Feel free to call them and ask for Chip. He'll certainly remember my deal... Tell him you read about my problem, and maybe he can shed additional light on your situation. I also recommend calling GM at 866-790-5700 and open a case file.

Good luck.
Old September 25th, 2006, 2:32 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: uncle bill

They're ( the dealer ) the experts. If they can't fix it, tell Them You want a new car. Lemon Law! They'll find the problem and fix because They don't want to give You another 40K+ vehicle for free. If no satisfaction, call the manufacturers representative for Your area. You can get the phone number from the dealer.

So now they have to "give You another 40K+ vehicle for free" under the Lemon Law?
Just a hunch but you probably aint a lawyer are you Bill?
Old September 27th, 2006, 4:18 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think I have agreed with one of Unclebill's posts as of yet. I think he might be a little sue-happy...
Old September 27th, 2006, 7:00 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think he may have stuffed his bong bowl full of some roten ganja or payotee a few too many times.
Old September 29th, 2006, 12:57 PM
CF Beginner

yours had a broken "sprag" what is that? They replaced my transmission control valve or something like that. We have only had it back a few days, it's too early to tell if that fixed the problem, but I had the exact same symptoms you did.
Old September 29th, 2006, 5:24 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

A sprag is the mechanical equivalent of a diode. Allows input to drive output in one direction but free wheels in opposite direction.
Old October 1st, 2006, 10:10 PM
CF Junior Member

Only possible tranny issue I may have is a slight wine when accelerating from a stop through second gear.
Amost the same sound of alternator whine.

Quick Reply: 2007 tahoe tranny problems