Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rear window defogger leads

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2012, 3:33 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear window defogger leads

Has anybody else had a problem with the defogger leads popping off the window? If so, what did you do to repair it? This is the 4th time I''ve gone through this and it's getting a little frustrating. I went to Bob Bell Chevy here in Baltimore and they told me it can't be soldered and they'd have to replace the glass, AT A COST OF $932.00. Problem is, the cables are wound too tight and they're too short but GM doesn't want to own up to it.

Last edited by BMoTahoe; December 3rd, 2012 at 4:05 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 8:05 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

You can stretch the cables so they don't put any tension on the terminals when the glass is closed.

Some have had success using conductive epoxy in place of solder.
Old December 4th, 2012, 6:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The existing solder bubble on the glass where the wire is connected can be soldered, I have done two on 2 different vehicles. First the solder is coated with a glue-like insulator, clean/sand this lightly to remove it, then you can solder the wire back. Using a conductive epoxy, like defroster grid repair, will also work. It sounds like you need to extend the defroster wires too. Just use the same size/gauge wire as what's there now. Braided wire flexs better, but primary lead will work too. Hope this helps.