Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1997 2 Door Tahoe Problem

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2009, 12:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 2 Door Tahoe Problem

I just bought my ideal truck a 1997 2 Door Tahoe 4wd with 145000 miles. I bought it from a good ole country boy and lets just say it is not in ideal shape but hey the 2 door Tahoes are hard to find and i only paid $3800. It has 2 issues i need help with the rest i know what the are.

#1. None of the interior lights work, the owner said he removed the pass. side sunvisor light because the pressure sensor was bad and it had a slow drain on the battery. He just pulled the wire from the pressure switch and now none of the interior dome lights work. i dont think it is related to the sunvisor vanity mirror but what do you think?

#2. It has a horrible brake vibration that i can feel in the seat and in the pedal. I dont think it is the rear brakes becasue it had rear shoes and wheel cylinders about 4000 miles ago. But i have also heard that The front wheel bearing can go bad on this truck and make the same problem. So any input will be nice.

Thanks
Andrew
K9 SAR
Old April 9th, 2009, 1:48 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum, nice find on the 2Dr...
Old April 9th, 2009, 2:13 PM
CF Beginner

Thank this seems like a good forum so hopefully i can get some help.
Old April 9th, 2009, 4:12 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Welcome to the Tahoe forum. By pressure switch, are you referring to the vanity mirror lite switch?

The brake vibration (or is it more of a pulsation?) might be warped rotor(s).
Old April 9th, 2009, 4:49 PM
CF Beginner

yea it is the pressure switch for the vanity mirror. I am getting two vanity mirrors and a headlight selector switch that has the dome light override in it i am not sure if it is the problem with the dome lights but it couldn't hurt. has anybody else had problems with dome lights not working?

It is also getting new rotors and pads tomorrow. Should i go with cross drilled and slotted rotors? Because i am reading a lot of problems with stock rotors warping on these tahoes.
Old April 9th, 2009, 7:18 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you hold the parking brake release lever and slowly push down the p-brake while driving you can tell if it is the rear. If it does it with only the p-brake it is the rear. You have to hold the release handle while and press slowly or the rear will lock up and slide out
Old April 9th, 2009, 7:39 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
If you hold the parking brake release lever and slowly push down the p-brake while driving you can tell if it is the rear. If it does it with only the p-brake it is the rear. You have to hold the release handle while and press slowly or the rear will lock up and slide out

Thank you very much! I i had a brain fart and forgot about that i guess that shows i haven't worked on a rear drum set up in awhile.

Also for the front brakes somebody told me to go with Power Slot rotors and Hawk Pads does anybody have another opinion or what kind of pads to get cerimac or like super duty pads on

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...840140+115+215
Old April 9th, 2009, 8:17 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is the Dome override button mashed. If yours is the same is mine it has it right beside the headlight switch. that could be why the lights dont work or they could be just burnt out
Old April 9th, 2009, 9:08 PM
CF Beginner

The dome override button clicks in and out it feels normal. I think it is just internally bad. I dont the bulbs are burn out because there are 8 plus bulbs and none works. the only lights that work are the instrument panel lights and the driver side vanity mirror.

Last edited by K9SAR; April 9th, 2009 at 9:18 PM.
Old April 9th, 2009, 9:32 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What lights are not working

Quick Reply: 1997 2 Door Tahoe Problem