Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1997 suburban gauges gone dead

Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2005, 12:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 suburban gauges gone dead

<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=2>I have a 97 sub with issues.It seemed to lose the get up and go (maybe my imagination or psychic thoughtsthat something was getting ready to happen), then the service engine light came on and stayed on.Then a daylater all of the gauges went to zero, but truck is still running. It went into the shop and they said thewhen it went on the computer there were a whole list of codes. Since it seemed unlikelythey all should be repaired,it was reset and the gauges all began working fine, until a couple of days later when I drove it again. Anysub doctors out there have any ideas? Mom with 3 kids and lots of soccer practices needs the sub fixed and I hate to take it to the dealership to berobbed. The previous mechanic couldnt figure itout. he said maybe the ignition? HELP!!!</FONT>
Old December 7th, 2005, 12:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 suburban gauges gone dead

This post is from a few months ago, but if you are still having problems, it could be a short by the computer ( in the harness wiring ). I had a similar problem in a chevy van except the vehicle was a no start. Would try to start but nothing more. </P>

After checking and making sure the wiring is good:</P>

If the error codes change or there are a lot of different odd ones, then a used computer could be the fix. Costfor me is about50 dollars at a local salvage yard. Make surewhen you get onethat the EPROM isstill installed. Some places will take the EPROM out and have you use your own ( since the EPROM can be sold seperately ). </P>

Best of luck!</P>