Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1999 5.7 Vortec will not start

Search this Thread

Old November 17th, 2012, 4:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 5.7 Vortec will not start

Long time lurker, new member, first post.

I have an issue that has perplexed me for three days now. Hopefully some of you Chevy Gods can aid me is resolving this issue. Below I have listed the specifications of the vehicle, then the issue, then what I have done to attempt to correct the issue with no avail.

1999 Chevrolet K1500 4X4 5.7 Vortec
270,000k miles
Engine rebuilt 70k ago
Trans Rebuilt 40K ago
Purchased used 1 month ago from original owner who provided above rebuilds via reputable shop with receipts

Vehicle ran flawlessly from time of rebuild to time of sale to myself. Vehicle began to hard start in the cold mornings only as autumn set in. During the warmer days, no issue. Vehicle would turn but not start. Aided start with starting fluid. After fluid successfully started vehicle, it started perfectly for the rest of the day without the need of fluid. This occurred for 3 days then took it to the shop. No check engine light, no error codes.

Shop diagnosed the diaphragm for the fuel pressure regulator malfunctioning/stuck open and low fuel pressure (50psi) at Schrader valve.

I replaced the entire spider injector module with the newer conversion spider injector module and plenum gaskets.

While driving two days after spider replacement vehicle stalled. Towed home. No fuel pressure. Replaced fuel pump. I have fuel pressure, good fuel pump relay, good fuses, good voltage at pump, compression, and spark. Vehicle will not start unless I squirt it with fluid. After starting it runs for 5 seconds and dies.

For good measure replaced Crankshaft Position Sensor. No avail.

In summary, 5.7 Vortec will not start. Fuel, air, compression, spark all there in specified quantities. New spider, new fuel pump, new Crank Shaft Position Sensor. Whats next?
Old November 17th, 2012, 4:58 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is the current fuel pressure?
Old November 17th, 2012, 7:24 PM
CF Senior Member

Is the fuel pump relay working do you hear the fuel pump run for a couple of seconds when you turn the key to the on postion but not start it
Old November 18th, 2012, 1:44 AM
CF Beginner

Smile I resolved the issue!

To answer the questions posted:
Fuel pump initiated upon key turn to the on position.
Fuel pressure was at 63-65.

I took a breather and had a drink. An hour later I decided to cut an access port through the body above the tank. Upon further inspection and manipulation of connection wires (vehicle side) I got the beast to turn over, maintain fuel pressure, and stay running. I further manipulated the wires and found that no matter which wire was tugged, twisted, or pulled that it somehow affected the electrical connection to the pump causing a fuel shortage stall out. I removed, trimmed even, and re-crimped all 4 fittings with aircraft grade butt connectors with loop and hook solder. Started vehicle with no issue. Double checked my connections before heat shrinking them and STALL! Long story short, as I manipulated the connections the wiring harness was moving as a whole also. When it was pulled tight I pulled the fuel pump ground wire tight against it's bolt and the opposite when pushing. The fuel pump ground wire is located on the top side of the forward crossbeam which supports the roll lock end of the straps and the four skid plate bolts. The bolt had shimmied loose (or was not properly tightened) leaving a gap for road grim to collect and cause a bad ground.

Thank you Shamrock and MDTAHOE for the responses. Any questions feel free to PM me. Thanks again for the prompt assistance.

Last edited by DamFed; November 18th, 2012 at 1:52 AM.