Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1999 k2500 suburban brake light problem

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2011, 12:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 k2500 suburban brake light problem

On my 1999 ex-fire department suburban, both rt and lt brake lights fail to light. However the 3rd top led brake light does work. I have a trailer connection using the gm plug which used to work and now trailer brake lights don't. All other lights work except that E-flashers sometimes needs the button wiggled and the signal lever does not always return to center. Have checked fuses and it seems that if the pedal switch works for 3rd light it should for the others.
Thx
I've looked through previos posts for similar problems as a good newby should but didn;t finde my solution.
Oh mine is not the late '99 style.
any help and T/S tips are appreciated.

B'rt -- Big Red Truck
Old January 14th, 2011, 7:33 PM
CF Beginner

Unhappy Darn the luck.

It seems the problem is in the almost all in one signal / e-flasher switch.
I wonder what it costs for replacement. I might just bypass it
Old January 14th, 2011, 9:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

But I think your problem is more than the hazard switch. I think your multi-function turn signal switch might be funky.
Old January 14th, 2011, 9:36 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Repalce the combo switch (turn signal switch)
Old January 15th, 2011, 2:20 PM
CF Beginner

Ok, Thanks.
Old July 1st, 2011, 9:38 PM
CF Beginner

Did this fix your problem? When I first bought this car everything worked, however my ABS light was constantly on in my dash.

Now my Trip-meter does not work, the abs light is off, my hazards do not work, and my left and right tail lights do not work. Third brake light works fine, and my turn signals work fine - unless the hazards switch is on, then my turn signals wont work.

Mine is a 96
Old December 25th, 2011, 7:45 PM
RPL
CF Beginner

On my 1999 ex-police department 2500 suburban, both rt and lt brake lights fail to light. However the 3rd top led brake light does work. I have a trailer connection. Help
Old December 25th, 2011, 7:47 PM
RPL
CF Beginner

On my 1999 ex-police department suburban, both rt and lt brake lights fail to light. However the 3rd top led brake light does work. I have a trailer connection. Did you find any thing out. My fuses and relays are ok.??
Old January 4th, 2012, 3:47 PM
CF Beginner

Mine ended up being the multi-function switch in the steering column. I was able to wedge something against the hazards switch to apply pressure and this has temporarily fixed the issue with the brake lights. That's an expensive part!
Old March 5th, 2012, 9:29 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even though this thread is over a year old, I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. I was just this weekend trying to figure out why the brake lights on my 99 K2500 were not working. In my case I found the brake switch is bad. However, I have electrical prints and got to studying them. There is a relay under the hood next to the starter relay that powers the tail lights and the high mounted light is in the circuit that powers the relay. Therefore, my guess would be that if the high mounted light works but not the tailights or trailer lights, either the relay is bad or the wiring to the relay. Hope this helps someone.
The following users liked this post:
Mthomas@CSI (January 11th, 2021)

Quick Reply: 1999 k2500 suburban brake light problem