Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1999 Suburban Conversion to 1 Ton

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2015, 12:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Suburban Conversion to 1 Ton

I would like to convert my 1999 suburban 4x4 to 1 ton. Its already a 3/4 ton. Which models of trucks could I use as a donor vehicle?
Old May 21st, 2015, 3:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There really is no way that you can do that.
The strength differences in the Frame, Axels, Housings and connecting parts are different between the 3/4 and 1 ton.
Yes, You could increase the capacity of your Springs, get heavier wheels and Tires, possibly change out other related parts, but...

IF you are stopped and a load check done, they will go by the VIN/RPO information for the original build, and if you are overloaded, you will probably be sited.

It would be a lot simpler and cheaper if you were to just trade your ride in on a 1ton.
Old May 21st, 2015, 7:05 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default agreed

Not sure the reason you're trying to do the conversion, but I 2nd the the fact that only the original sticker will mean anything, and the cost of replacing what you think are all the parts will never mean you have a 1 ton vehicle. Trade it in on the one you want... much less time and stress... and I'm thinking it would actually be cheaper.
Old May 27th, 2015, 11:42 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
Not sure the reason you're trying to do the conversion, but I 2nd the the fact that only the original sticker will mean anything, and the cost of replacing what you think are all the parts will never mean you have a 1 ton vehicle. Trade it in on the one you want... much less time and stress... and I'm thinking it would actually be cheaper.
What I'm attempting to build is the ultimate tow vehicle while still being able to haul 9 people.
Old May 28th, 2015, 2:54 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mitchell.smith9999@gmail.com
What I'm attempting to build is the ultimate tow vehicle while still being able to haul 9 people.
You do understand that, that many people plus a half tank of gas, will overload your ride, with no hitch load.

Mitch,
I think you're missing our point here. Yes, you can beef up things, and, with HDsprings, Etires, some hd shocks, you'll probably be able to handle the load you're shooting for, BUT...

IF you're stopped and checked, there's no explanation or evidence of improvements you can give, which will keep them from siteing you for an overload. That's a fact ! And, they can and may require you to unload down to specs, before they let you continue.
Old May 28th, 2015, 10:33 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Why build one when they already exist?

One ton van - 11 or 15 passengers, ~9600 GVWR, ~10,000 lbs of towing with a 4.10 rear.
Old May 28th, 2015, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by intheburbs
Why build one when they already exist?

One ton van - 11 or 15 passengers, ~9600 GVWR, ~10,000 lbs of towing with a 4.10 rear.
That'd work, or if he would give up 3 passengers, a 1 ton Crew Cab Dually would give ample ability.
Old May 28th, 2015, 3:45 PM
CF Beginner

Default responses

As to the response drop three seats. I guess I could always teach my three year old and five year old how to ride a motorcycle. As to the idea of a van. Although there are some nice ones out there I need to tow a trailer large enough to carry two cj5's and a small storage box. I don't think there are many vans that could tow that and be the recovery vehicle. Please let me know if you have any other ideas. I'm listening. Thanks guys!
Old May 28th, 2015, 7:13 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I need to tow a trailer large enough to carry two cj5's and a small storage box. I don't think there are many vans that could tow that and be the recovery vehicle. Please let me know if you have any other ideas. I'm listening. Thanks guys!
9 passengers, a roughly 15,000-lb trailer, and a recovery vehicle? In 1 package? This is all I've got:

Old May 28th, 2015, 8:18 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

How about a Sprinter 3500?

Quick Reply: 1999 Suburban Conversion to 1 Ton