Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1999 Suburban LT Brake Control Wiring

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2009, 2:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Suburban LT Brake Control Wiring

Hi all, thanks for your great help in the past. I couldn't find a thread on this question, so I'm wondering if anyone has some insight into wiring a trailer brake controller into a 1999 Chevrolet Suburban. From the reading I have done, the 2000 and newer trucks have the ability to just plug right into the fuse box under the dash, but the 1999 has to be hard wired. This hard wiring is what I'm trying to figure out.

My first question is at the rear of the truck. For the 7-pin connector, I found a pair of wires taped up under where the hitch mounts. These wires are orange and blue, and from what I've found on the web should be +12V and brake signal out to the trailer, respectively. I used these for +12V and brake signal out in the 7-pin connector based on this info. I couldn't get a voltage off them using a multimeter (I could for taillights, directionals, reverse, etc.), but I don't know if that's because they aren't the right wires or because I need the brake controller in the circuit to close it. Do you think these are the right ones to use?

If these blue and orange wires are the correct ones to use, I have no idea where they come out under the dash. In addition, it isn't clear to me which wire I need to pick up for the brake input signal to the controller. Does anyone have advice for a novice at brake controller wiring? If it matters, I inhereted a Hayes Energize III that I am planning to wire in.

One last question. In the instructions for the brake controller, it shows an inline fuse and a circuit breaker which need to be installed on the brake input to the controller and +12V lines, respectively:

http://www.hayesbc.com/PDFs/19043-3@...051221-CAB.pdf

Is there any way to tell whether any provisions for towing exist such that the circuit breaker is already in the +12V leg? For example, if the blue and orange wires come out under the dash somewhere, does that mean that they are already set up and all I have to do is tie into them with the brake controller leads?

Sorry for the long questions, I am trying to explain as succintly as I can but I'm new to brake controller wiring. I appreciate any help you can give. Thanks.

- Matt
Old October 12th, 2009, 12:36 PM
CF Beginner

Hi all, I still haven't been able to figure this out. Does anyone know if any wiring diagrams or instructions can help this out, or if anyone has any suggestions/advice? Thanks for any help you can lend.
Old October 12th, 2009, 4:21 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This would be about a 30 minute job if I was there, but it would take forever to do it on the forum. The wires at the rear connector are only roughed in and need to be connected up front. The brake signal can be picked up from the brake light switch under the dash.
Old October 13th, 2009, 2:33 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mudmaniac
This would be about a 30 minute job if I was there, but it would take forever to do it on the forum. The wires at the rear connector are only roughed in and need to be connected up front. The brake signal can be picked up from the brake light switch under the dash.
Hi mudmaniac, I believe it. Without going into it too much more, maybe you can get me on the right track with fewer, more specific questions:

1. When you say above "the wires at the rear connector", are you referring to the orange and blue wires that were tied up under the rear bumper?

2. Does your above statement mean that I can connect the orange and blue wires to the 7-pin connector for +12V and brake signal out to the trailer (respectively), or do I have to run my own wires from the 7-pin to the front of the truck and forget about the orange and blue wires already there?

3. If the answer to question 2. is "yes, you can use the wires already there", it sounds like they are likely tied up somewhere, unconnected (just as they were under the bumper). Can you describe to me where they are located?

I don't necessarily need to be stepped through every detail of running the wires, etc. My biggest problem is that I can't even find any of the three wires I'm supposed to connect to the controller (brake signal in from pedal, brake signal out to trailer, and +12V). Let me know if this makes sense, and I appreciate any help you can give. Thanks.
Old October 13th, 2009, 3:16 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

1) Yes, the wires not connected.
2) Connect the wires to the 7 pin connector but you will still need to find the wires up front. they shold be either under the dash or under the hood near the fuse holders.
3) You will be using the wires alreadt roughed in.

All you need to the brake controller is a ground input, 12 volts input, 12 volt signal from the brake light circut and then the brake out put to the 7 pin connector.
To be honest I installed it myself in my Silverado but when I put one in my Escalade I had the shop do it for $35.
Old October 14th, 2009, 11:41 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mudmaniac
1) Yes, the wires not connected.
2) Connect the wires to the 7 pin connector but you will still need to find the wires up front. they shold be either under the dash or under the hood near the fuse holders.
3) You will be using the wires alreadt roughed in.

All you need to the brake controller is a ground input, 12 volts input, 12 volt signal from the brake light circut and then the brake out put to the 7 pin connector.
To be honest I installed it myself in my Silverado but when I put one in my Escalade I had the shop do it for $35.
Thanks for the confirmation. If I understand right, I can wire the orange and blue wires into the 7 pin for +12V and brake signal out to the trailer respectively, but they won't do anything until I find them up front. I had a feeling this was true when I checked all of my 7-pin wiring and couldn't get voltage from only those two pins...

Having resolved that, my next biggest issue is that I can't find where the orange and blue wires come out. I had been looking under the dash, assuming that the brake feed would have to come out near the brake pedal, so I'll check underhood as well. I've also been assuming that they will still be orange and black and they wouldn't have changed the colors on me; I hope that's a good assumption...

Can anyone give me some specific hints on where to find the "front of vehicle" side of the orange and blue wires that were roughed into the truck for +12V and brake signal out to the trailer?

Also, where is the brake light switch that I need to use to pick up the brake signal? I know it is under the dash, but can anyone tell me some specific places/things I should be looking for?

Thanks for any help you can give, I appreciate it.
Old October 14th, 2009, 3:52 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

The brake switch is located over the arm of the brake pedal, you can follow the wires from it to make a connection.
Old September 29th, 2010, 6:59 PM
CF Beginner

Hi, I am currently installing a brake controller on a 1997 suburban. The orange and blue wires you are refering to are taped up underneath the brake booster in the engine compartment along the firewall. Hope this helps.
Old September 29th, 2010, 9:32 PM
CF Veteran

Default control

here are some pictures and instructions that might help .
http://www.etrailer.com/faq-cbc.aspx
Old June 11th, 2013, 8:16 AM
CF Beginner

I have the old style box. where can i hook up the stop/brake wire into.

Quick Reply: 1999 Suburban LT Brake Control Wiring