Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1999 Suburban with really weird ignition problem

Search this Thread

Old July 21st, 2013, 4:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Suburban with really weird ignition problem

Hi, I'm new to this forum and hoping someone can help me out. I'm really at a loss. I have a 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500. It had some ignition problems and my searching the internet led me to replace the ignition switch/harness. I also replaced the key lock cylinder because the old one got trashed in the removal process. So the problem is this - when the key lock cylinder is in the position where the key can come out, the truck thinks its in the "accessory" position. If I move the key forward toward the starting position, the truck thinks its in the "off" position but I can't get the key out. If I turn the key all the way forward, the car will start and run. I've looked around and am not finding anything obvious to adjust to get this right. My son says maybe I just have to leave the key in the ignition all the time. Taking the key out would seem to me to drain the battery because the truck thinks its in the "accessory" position. I made a video to show people what I'm talking about. I'm desperate - I don't know what to do and having replaced both the key lock cylinder and ignition switch/harness, there doesn't seem like much else that might be replaced to solve the problem. Here's the video 1999 Suburban Ignition Issue - YouTube

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!