Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2001 Chevy Tahoe Problems

Search this Thread

Old December 7th, 2012, 8:11 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Chevy Tahoe Problems

I have a 2001 Chevy Tahoe, and while I was driving it they other day it cut off on me. The truck had felt like it was not getting any gas while I was sitting idle and when I started driving, it would drive for a distance but then it felt like it was not getting any gas as I pused the acclerator down. The truck actually cut off while I was driving it and would not turn back over. Can some one please assist with letting me know what the problem might be.
Old December 8th, 2012, 9:53 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Need to check fuel pressure.
Old December 9th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

To check if the fuel pump has failed( stopped working), listen for it when you turn the key on but don't crank, you should hear the pump prime up for a couple of seconds, you may want to have a helper listen for the pump to come on.
If you don't hear it, or it sound funky, its probably a bad pump... giving that you have a 2001 and if you have not replaced the pump in the past its a good bet its out...
As 73shark suggested have the fuel pressure checked...

IF it is the pump, replace it with an OEM one and it will most likely last you the life of the vehicle, some aftermarket ones are cheaper but can fail more quickly... the factory one is about $400 plus installation, if you are handy capable changing out the fuel pump yourself is doable...
Old December 9th, 2012, 8:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A hint on changing that fuel pump: Had my 96 pump fail and instead of dropping the tank I cut an 8"x8" hole under the left back seat. Used a whiz wheel and you have to be careful not to go too deep as the electrical and fuel lines are right under the panel. I riveted a flange all aroudnd the hole on the body and pop rivited the piece I cut out right back to the smae place I cut it from. Some body sealer and the job was done. 300K miles and three pumps later I'm still driving that 96 Hoe. Love this truck.
Old December 10th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

IF I recall correctly the 2001 OEM fuel pump will come with a upgraded electrical connector for the pump and a new fuse for the fuse box....( depends on part of year the vehicle was manufactured, there was a upgrade to the connector at some point, did this on my sisters 01 burban)

When re-installing the compression ring to hold the pump in, the application of a water based lubricant (KY) is really helpful... avoid using a petroleum or silicone based product as they can remain slippery for some time and the ring could potentially work its way loose, the water based type will dry up after a few hours...