Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2001 Tahoe 5.3 L P0343 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit High Input - Sensor location

Search this Thread

Old June 20th, 2010, 7:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Tahoe 5.3 L P0343 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit High Input - Sensor location

2001 Tahoe 5.3 L kicking a P0343 code.

I found the oil sensor is on the drivers side back of motor and the camshaft sensor is on the passenger back side of the motor. The oil pressure sensor is a taller unit with the connector on the top, not on the side.

I couldn't see them but did slide my camera back there to take a photo with the camera stuffed almost against the firewall on the passenger side of the engine.

If you feel behind the intake on the passenger side, the tranny breather tube is a good landmark to use. Reach a little further and you'll find the 10 mm bolt holding the cam sensor in. A 1/4 drive ratchet with the shallow 10 mm socket will fit back there to get the bolt out. It took a few minutes to pry and wiggle the sensor out. The new one slid most of the way in and putting the bolt through the metal tab that holds the sensor in was relatively easy.

I had to climb up and was laying across the air filter box in order to reach behind the engine. Someone with large hands or a short reach will probably be challenged with this task.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails 2001 Tahoe 5.3 L P0343 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit High Input - Sensor location-camsensor2.jpg  
Old June 27th, 2010, 10:43 AM
CF Beginner

Had a "no start" but no fault code situation after replacing the sensor that cleared after reaching back and moving the pigtail. I've picked up an replacement pigtail. Looks like the the easiest way to get to this thing is pull the intake manifold since the pigtail goes into the loom back where the oil sensor is.
Old June 27th, 2010, 12:20 PM
CF Beginner

AC Delco P420 is what the parts store gave for the replacement pigtail. But it doesn't fit the sensor due to the plastic guide between two of the pins. All three wires are solid gray. Also the retaining clip isn't compatible with the one on the sensor (won't hold it on).

The parts store confirmed the sensor shows a little tab between two of the pins.
The parts store is calling AC Delco tomorrow to see if the part was mispackaged or miscataloged.

Glad I checked this before chopping off the old pigtail.

I noticed that the little purple rubber gasket falls off the old pigtail pretty easily too so maybe that contributed to the bad connection. The old sensor pins look clean and shiny though. I think the problem is where the wires contact the pins on the pigtail.

Hope ya'll don't mind me replying to myself, but figured this info will save a few of you some time. Maybe someone will have a better or easier way to remedy this issue.

I've attached a photo of the old sensor and apparently wrong pigtail.
Attached Thumbnails 2001 Tahoe 5.3 L P0343 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit High Input - Sensor location-camsensor-connector.jpg  
Old June 28th, 2010, 1:31 PM
CF Beginner

AC Delco mis-cataloged the pigtail. The correct number is PT1604.
Old July 15th, 2011, 11:14 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Dag... I have an avalanche with the same problem.... seems impossible to get back to the CPS
Old March 16th, 2012, 8:44 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks!

Had the same problem on my 2001 Tahoe. Just picked up the right parts. Fixing it in the morning.

Thanks for the helpful post!
Rick