Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2001 Tahoe Gas Gauge reading empty, fuel pump still working?

Search this Thread

Old August 13th, 2011, 2:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Tahoe Gas Gauge reading empty, fuel pump still working?

Alright gentleman, I need help with this because I just don't know where or if the wires that lead to the gauge are being grounded. We were on a trip back from Lubbock, Texas and about halfway through my mother noticed that the gauge was reading empty. This would be impossible because we had filled up no more than 180 miles beforehand. So we stopped and filled up and drove home.

The pump works absolutely fine, we just replaced it no more than 2 months ago. When we unplugged the fuel pump, it should read more than full, however, it is still reading empty, which is a showcase of the wire being grounded still, I believe. We took the wires out and they were not grounded on each other, not possible for them to even be close to grounded. Keep in mind that the actual fuel pump is still working and actually runs just fine. It is much stronger than the one we had before.

Any suggestions of what this could be? or has anyone else ever had this problem? I'm not exactly gifted with cars, but my father is and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old August 13th, 2011, 3:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. The fuel pump motor and fuel level sensor are on separate circuits. Take the electrical connector off and then measure the voltage across the ORG/BLK and PPL wires with key on. If you don't see a voltage, there's something wrong with the circuit. The ORG/BLK wire goes to the PCM connector C1, terminal 80 and PPL wire, to C2, 54.
Old January 23rd, 2015, 7:00 PM
CF Beginner

Default gas Guage reads empty until I drive.

Hello all! Please help! On my 2001 tahoe, my gas Guage will read empty upon start up. It will stay this way until I start driving,then it will read the actual level. When I stop for a light or stop sign, it will jump back to empty.... any ideas? Maybe the cluster is bad?
Old March 7th, 2015, 7:37 PM
CF Beginner

Mine did the same thing had to replace pump it works fine now
Old March 9th, 2015, 9:51 PM
CF Beginner

The fuel level sender is integral with the fuel pump. I replaced the fuel pump and then about 6 months later the fuel gauge was going crazy. We use the trip odo now, I'm not dropping the tank again to replace the fuel pump or get to the wiring above the tank just for this.