Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:14 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: 4WD
Print Wikipost

2001 tahoe leaking transfer case fluid

Search this Thread

Old October 13th, 2014, 1:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 tahoe leaking transfer case fluid

Hi

I just notice some dripping on the floor and on under carriage of 01 tahoe. Seems to be wet around the front u joint area. I just replaced the output shaft seal 3 months ago and that area is dry so that is ruled out. My buddy who is GM mechanic tells me to check fluid and take off fill plug in transfer case and see if it is over full. Said possible bad trans seal where it meets the transfer case. I see vent hose and it seems dry around that area too. The whole transfer case is bone dry. Any ideas ???
Old October 13th, 2014, 3:52 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

I would start by doing what your GM mechanic buddy suggested. Then if that doesn't prove to help, I would clean off the area where the leak appears to be coming from with brake degreaser and watch for new signs of leakage.
Old October 13th, 2014, 4:28 PM
CF Junior Member

Default tahoe leak

ok thanks for the tip!
Old October 14th, 2014, 9:39 PM
CF Junior Member

Default transfer case fluid leak

So i checked my trans fluid and it seems good. Next step is to check my transfer case fluid. Someone told me my yoke could be warped and its seeping out slowly near the u joint. Any other input or similar issues anyone has had would be awesome
Old October 15th, 2014, 12:53 AM
CF Beginner

Default wow ok getting down to buisness I see with that transfer case.

hey buddy

All of the talking among your buddy who says hes a mechanic and all of the talk on here is about as useless as **** on a boar.

Short and simple

You need to get under that turd and pull the transfer case and replace the seals brosive.

Still get a chuckle about peeps that have a motor issuse and they resolve it by chatting online with other soft hands who have never even used a pair of pliers.

Get under that thing and lay on the ground at the car wash and pressure wash that thing, then drive it home and pull that Transfer case and replace the seals bro.

Man up
Old October 15th, 2014, 1:00 AM
CF Beginner

Default yoke warper

Brother who ever told you the yoke could be warped is possibly warped them self.

If You have ever seen a yoke and you understand the forces acting on a yoke you will know that is a idiotic idea, warped yoke.

Just not possible unless you are pulling 80,000 lbs and have a semi truck diesel engine that is running 22 hours a day in the mountains, then I could believe that a factory 2001 Tahoe 4x4 yoke could possibly be warped otherwise I would never again speak to the genius who told you that the yoke could be warped.
Old October 29th, 2014, 8:46 PM
CF Junior Member

lol raweggfart you are dick.that what this forum is made for people question.to your question the np246 transfer case have problem's where the pump rub a hole in the case.check that too.far more why make him pull the tcase and cause him more work?if he doesnt have to.check all the area before you pull the tcase like this dumbass stated!!!
Old November 2nd, 2014, 12:24 PM
CF Beginner

I don't believe pump rub is his problem, but he should look it up on youtube "chevy pump rub". Clean off the t-case with degreaser and check for fresh oil. Also check the t-case fluid level.