Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 11:44 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

2001 Tahoe oil leak

Search this Thread

Old July 25th, 2010, 1:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak

Well i have been researching this issue. I too have the same mysterious leak. I took my Tahoe to the dealer about the leak. THey stated it was a rear main seal. I then asked them if they were positive this was this issue. The said yes. I told them fix. it.

Drove it around for three days. Checked the oil level it looked good. I then went underneath and noticed oil on the oil filter. Drove that Monday morning and took it back. Explained to the service advisor about leak and that i just forked over a couple 100's to have it fixed. Dropped off the truck.

SA calls me and tells me that my oil filter was not OEM. that was the reaosn it was leaking. In my mind, i was you must think iam a freakin idiot. However, i had to play along to prove that it was not oil filter. It was a fram by the way. Drive my the tahoe home.

Went on a 1500 mile road trip. Drove from OC>Vegas>Grand Canyon>Vegas>OC. Second week back from the trip I get "Check Engine Oil Level". I was WTH? I was somthing wrong. Drove home and parked it. Checked the dip stick and it was really Low. I then go underneath and noticed oil on the oil filter and a drop starting to develop under th drain plug(was replaced with the rear main seal job). I also noticed oil traveling from the front of the oil pan to the back.

THis time i head back to the dealer and ask to speak to the SA Manager. I have a nice talk with him questioning there inability to determing a leak. I also mentioned that by now i felt that this so called dealer was practicing shady practices. HE stated "oh we don't practice that business here". I also pulled out some pictures i took with my phone and showed it to him that iwas not crazy.

SO he takes the truck in. They keep it for 3 days. He states that hey removed the transmissions to verify the rearmain seal was not leaking. I then tell them how do you know it was leaking in first place. He than tells me that they changed some pcv valve. Iam okay. I'll drive it around for a couple of days....

3 days pass by and the same leak is still there. The leak travels form the front of the oil pan to the back. i take it back. THis time he drop dye in the oil. I get a call back fromteh dealer and tells me that i have an oil pan leak. It will cost $500 to fix. At this point i don't know who to believe anymore. I just want my tahoe not to leak!

So this morning i check my oil level and it just below the 2nd cirle from the top. i get underneath again. However, this time i stick my fingers in the channel of the crossmember that goes below the oil pan. Guess what there is a pool of oil inthe crossmember.

Does anybody know what to do about this issue? It seems like it is common amoung chevy/gmc.

I am still trying to figur out how the IM gasket solved the issue. as i believe there is only coolent.

By the way we have a 2001 tahoe 4x4.
Old July 25th, 2010, 7:25 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

The intake manifold front and rear rail gaskets seal the lifter galley which has a lot of oil flying around in it.
Old August 4th, 2010, 10:50 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 01z71
Well i have been researching this issue. I too have the same mysterious leak. I took my Tahoe to the dealer about the leak. THey stated it was a rear main seal. I then asked them if they were positive this was this issue. The said yes. I told them fix. it.

Drove it around for three days. Checked the oil level it looked good. I then went underneath and noticed oil on the oil filter. Drove that Monday morning and took it back. Explained to the service advisor about leak and that i just forked over a couple 100's to have it fixed. Dropped off the truck.

SA calls me and tells me that my oil filter was not OEM. that was the reaosn it was leaking. In my mind, i was you must think iam a freakin idiot. However, i had to play along to prove that it was not oil filter. It was a fram by the way. Drive my the tahoe home.

Went on a 1500 mile road trip. Drove from OC>Vegas>Grand Canyon>Vegas>OC. Second week back from the trip I get "Check Engine Oil Level". I was WTH? I was somthing wrong. Drove home and parked it. Checked the dip stick and it was really Low. I then go underneath and noticed oil on the oil filter and a drop starting to develop under th drain plug(was replaced with the rear main seal job). I also noticed oil traveling from the front of the oil pan to the back.

THis time i head back to the dealer and ask to speak to the SA Manager. I have a nice talk with him questioning there inability to determing a leak. I also mentioned that by now i felt that this so called dealer was practicing shady practices. HE stated "oh we don't practice that business here". I also pulled out some pictures i took with my phone and showed it to him that iwas not crazy.

SO he takes the truck in. They keep it for 3 days. He states that hey removed the transmissions to verify the rearmain seal was not leaking. I then tell them how do you know it was leaking in first place. He than tells me that they changed some pcv valve. Iam okay. I'll drive it around for a couple of days....

3 days pass by and the same leak is still there. The leak travels form the front of the oil pan to the back. i take it back. THis time he drop dye in the oil. I get a call back fromteh dealer and tells me that i have an oil pan leak. It will cost $500 to fix. At this point i don't know who to believe anymore. I just want my tahoe not to leak!

So this morning i check my oil level and it just below the 2nd cirle from the top. i get underneath again. However, this time i stick my fingers in the channel of the crossmember that goes below the oil pan. Guess what there is a pool of oil inthe crossmember.

Does anybody know what to do about this issue? It seems like it is common amoung chevy/gmc.

I am still trying to figur out how the IM gasket solved the issue. as i believe there is only coolent.

By the way we have a 2001 tahoe 4x4.
Your story sounds identical to mine. I'm in Irvine. Maybe we should take both our 2001 Tahoes to the same shop and get a deal if they do both?

I've taken it to the same shop twice and still have the leak. Every time they assure me they have fixed it yet a few hundred miles later it is still leaking. I feel like they should have to fix it at a very reduced price since everything they have done has done nothing to combat the leak.

I wonder if the intake gasket is the fix? Let me know if you figure out anything regarding your leak.
Old August 15th, 2010, 3:46 PM
CF Beginner

Tahoe is going back to the shop on Wed. Any updates on people that had this oil leak and found a fix?
Old August 16th, 2010, 5:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not from mine still has a leak... Let us know what they find..
Old August 18th, 2010, 9:12 PM
CF Beginner

They replaced the oil pan gasket. $253. Be interesting to see if this really fixes it. I have my doubts.
Old August 19th, 2010, 7:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oil pan gasket

I replaced mine 2 months back. Did not fix it.

Let us know, good luck!
Old August 19th, 2010, 8:13 AM
CF Beginner

Default still an issue

Well guys I have done all the grunt work.
list of things I have done:
took out the plugs. they looked normal.
performed a compression test.150 all around
changed the plugs.
I am still consuming oil.
pretty much the only thing left is the oil pan gasket.I have black residue on my tahoe. the black smoke is most likely a rich A/F mixture. However, with oil issue it is hard to say

@ keithman, is your tahoe a 4x4? your quote for the oilpan is very competitive. Tell us where. I would go in a heart beat. The dealer o went wanted 500 for that job

I have recv'd 2 theories
Motor needs to be rebuilt.
heads need to be rebuilt

none of them are valid since no one can prove it. At least with out me forking over some serious cash. Even if the motor needs to-be replaced, I can pick up a new rebuilt motor from chevy for under 3k.(with a 3yr/100k mile warranty)
rebuilding the heads will still require me to invest about 1800. Even the head shop told me that reading the heads might cause the issue to get worse. He believes the oil rings have gone bad. thus needing a ring job. As you can see this points back to rebuilding the motor.

I will be switching to maxlife next month. I will keep you guys posted.
kman, let me know where you had you oilpan gasket replaced. by the I way I live in Garbage Grove!
Old August 19th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

01z71 I have read your post and as I understand it you had an oil leak and now you have an oil consumption issue?
Old August 19th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

01z71 "I have black residue on my tahoe. the black smoke is most likely a rich A/F mixture. However, with oil issue it is hard to say"

If you are running rich this can be thinning out your oil making it easier to leak and out and consequently get burned in the combustion process...

Quick Reply: 2001 Tahoe oil leak