Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 11:44 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

2001 Tahoe oil leak

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2010, 11:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil leak

Hello,

I just purchased a 2001 Tahoe that has the big bad oil leak! I have replace the pan gasket, camshaft sensor, oil pressure switch, crankshaft sensor and still have the leak. the leak comes down off the inside starter bolt. flywheel is dry so its not a rear main. sides of block are dry as well. have felt all around the valve covers doesn't seem to be leaking there either. It is a good amount of oil that leaks down. I heard that the intake gasket can cause this leak so i pulled the intake off today and back by the cam sensor was a bunch of gunk type build up and a little wet.but cant seem to see where leak would be coming from.

Any help would be great. Thank you

Andrew
Old September 6th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Someone here can offer some suggestions.
Old September 7th, 2010, 8:54 AM
CF Beginner

Well my experience stared off like yours. Oil just leaked everywhere. My leak ended up being the rear main seal. It then followed by oil consumption. I ended up cleaning the MAF, TB and replacing the plugs and wires. I followed it up with a seafoam treatment.
Regarding your issue the only advise that might help is if you put some dye in the oil. Drive it for a couple of hrs and try pinpoint the leak.
Couple of questions:
How is your oil pressure?
Does your car overheat?
How does the coolant look?

I think you have replaced everything but the valve cover gasket and the head gaskets. I'll pull my haynes repair book and see if I can find another place habit might leak from.
Old September 7th, 2010, 12:45 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 01z71
Update: I seafoamed my tahoe about 2 wks ago. Treated the fuel and induced it through the brake booster vacuum house. Since then the oil consumption has gone away. Everything is looking good. I think I have nailed this issue. Well all I have to say that the seafoam treatment produced a tons of smoke
Do you have to change the oil after you do it though the brake booster line? Seafoam's website says you do not need to change the oil but I was wondering if you did.
Old September 7th, 2010, 4:24 PM
CF Beginner

Default seafoam

Originally Posted by KeithKman
Do you have to change the oil after you do it though the brake booster line? Seafoam's website says you do not need to change the oil but I was wondering if you did.
Well, I don't think so. However, you will need to change it after you pour it into your crankcase. After 100 miles or so it will need to be changed. I don't think you need to do the oil treatment since your shop already cleaned out for you with your last oil change. just induce it via the brake booster vacuum hose(stick a funnel). I poured 9 oz into the gas tank. I used the rest for the induction process. I dripped 2.5 oz slowly. the remainder I just dumped it all in. The car should stall. If it doesn't put your thumb over the hose to force it to stall. I had a buddy turn the car off too. Wait like 30 min or so and then start it up. If it has a ton of carbon build up it will SMOKE! let it idle and take out for a spirited drive. if your plugs have not been replaced, this might be a good time to do it(after the seafoam treatment).
Old September 10th, 2010, 11:56 PM
CF Beginner

Well i will be pulling the transmission in the morning. I ended up replacing , valve cover gaskets, valley cover gasket, knock sensor oil seals, knock sensors, knock sensor wiring harness, cam and crank position sensors, oil switch. and still have the leak so i will be replacing the rear main seal tomorrow!!!! Any susguestions or tips on taking the tranny out?
Old September 13th, 2010, 12:10 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 732501
Well i will be pulling the transmission in the morning. I ended up replacing , valve cover gaskets, valley cover gasket, knock sensor oil seals, knock sensors, knock sensor wiring harness, cam and crank position sensors, oil switch. and still have the leak so i will be replacing the rear main seal tomorrow!!!! Any susguestions or tips on taking the tranny out?

How did the job go? Is it still leaking? Keep us posted.
Old September 19th, 2010, 4:20 PM
CF Beginner

I'm out of town. Went to leave the place I am staying today. Fired up the Tahoe in the parking garage. Ran for 45 seconds and then died. Turned the key off and to the ON position. Could not hear the fuel pump. Truck has 136k miles.

Towed the Tahoe to the dealership in town. Service dept is closed till tomorrow morning. I wish the pump went bad at home so I could do the work myself. Looks like this will be $800+ and I'll get screwed by the dealership.

Always something.
Old January 30th, 2011, 1:51 AM
CF Beginner

UPDATE:

Changed the oil today on the Tahoe since the shop replaced the oil pan gasket (about 4,500 miles ago). Crawled under the car to remove the drain plug and there was no oil leaking anywhere. Pretty happy!
Old January 30th, 2011, 1:18 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. I take it that you got the fuel pump replaced?

Quick Reply: 2001 Tahoe oil leak