Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Current Chevy Trucks, SUV's, Crossovers & Vans > Tahoe & Suburban
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2011, 01:56 PM
CF Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I take it that you got the fuel pump replaced?
Sure did. Got raped by the dealer though. I was out of town so I had no choice. I could have easily have done it if the fuel pump went out if I was home.
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 09-01-2011, 11:39 AM
CF Beginner

Default Engine oil losses

Chevrolets with the 5.7 Vortec engine can and do lose oil due to leaking intake manifold gaskets. I've owned 3 and all needed replacement at some time. The gasket design allows oil vapor to be drawn from the lifter valley into the engine's cylinders on each intake stroke once the gasket integrity is gone. The leak can be a little or a lot. The leak also causes lean mixture problems leading to poor fuel economy. Replacement with quality gaskets has always cured both issues for me. Hope this helps.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Administrator
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe

fuzzo thanks for the input and welcome to the forum
Old 09-01-2011, 11:45 AM
CF Beginner

GM Vortec engines are prone to intake manifold gasket leaks, allowing oil vapor to be drawn into cylinders with each intake stroke. Also causes lean cylinder mixtures and poor fuel economy. Replace with quality gaskets to cure both issues.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:56 PM
CF Beginner

Like alot of others I am also having oil leak problems on my 2001 gmc sierra 5.3 1500. I have replaced the rear main seal and rear cover seal and still having oil leaks problems. Some of the people here say they have replaced the pan gasket and that fixes the problem in some cases. Does anyone know what the real issue is and how to fix it. thanks
Old 10-18-2011, 09:28 AM
CF Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon7 View Post
Like alot of others I am also having oil leak problems on my 2001 gmc sierra 5.3 1500. I have replaced the rear main seal and rear cover seal and still having oil leaks problems. Some of the people here say they have replaced the pan gasket and that fixes the problem in some cases. Does anyone know what the real issue is and how to fix it. thanks

I can't tell you how frustrated I was when my Tahoe was leaking oil. I had the rear main seal, rear cover seal, oil cooler block-off, and oil pan drain plug replaced and it still was leaking.

From the get go I told the shop that did the work I was pretty sure it was the oil pan gasket but they always insisted that was NOT it. They finally changed the oil pan gasket and my Tahoe hasn't leaked since. I have put on over 10k miles since then. I hope I didn't just jinx myself.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:26 AM
CF Beginner

For my 6.0L Suburban it was the rear main seal. But along the way I replaced valve cover gaskets, transmission cooler gasket, oil pan gasket (this is not easy on these engines, needs to be just right) and rear main seal. Mine has not leaked in about six months.

Good Luck.

Quote:
Old 10-19-2011, 09:01 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks kiethkman, Ill change the pan gasket and see how if it works.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:29 AM
CF Beginner

Quote:
Thanks kiethkman, Ill change the pan gasket and see how if it works.
I can't promise you anything, as every truck is different. All I can do is share my experience.

I hope it works out!
Old 01-02-2012, 11:35 AM
CF Beginner

Alright guys, I am back. Howver this is just an update. RC Performance found another leak that the dealer didn't find almost 2 years ago. He replaced a block off gasket. All Richard told me was that when Chevy doesn't use an engine oil cooler, it blocks it off. He replaced the gasket. I was there maybe an hour at the most. Very inexpensive fix. He asked me if I always noticed oil on the filter. I said "yes." He asked, "how long." I told him for 2 yrs. He told me I might have had that leak 2 yrs. Either way, I have put 200+ miles on the tahoe and no oil on the filter. I think this chapter in my life is about to end.

Now, on to replace worn out electric shocks in the front, airpressured shocks in the rear, and the oem air compressor in the rear.
If I develop another leak, I will let you guys now.

Happy New Year,
Old 01-02-2012, 11:35 AM

Tags
2000, 2001, 53, bell, chevy, engine, housing, leak, leaks, main, oil, rear, seal, suburban, tahoe