Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2002 suburban scraping light cruching noise left rear tire

Search this Thread

Old September 13th, 2014, 3:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 suburban scraping light cruching noise left rear tire

So I noticed noise in my truck when decelerating... so I jacked it up gave it gas and it sounds like brakes rubbing..I just changed all my pads so I tested out the e brakes come to find out they're shot...
My question is if I changed the ebrakes would the noise go away..or do I have to change the whole rear end???? I'm hesitant to change em cause it would be a waste if I had to replace the rear end... which I can't afford at the the time anyway cause it's pretty expense... just wondering if anybody else has had this problem and What should I do? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old September 13th, 2014, 5:33 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you live in the salt belt, it is very common for the parking brake mechanism to seize up and not operate properly. If the brakes very out of adjustment and are dragging, they will definitely cause some noise. The noise would be present at all times, but you may hear it more when not under acceleration.

If the parking brakes need to be repaired, I would first adjust them and make sure that parking brakes are not dragging.

You should also check the rear differential level and make sure that you have enough oil in it.

Once you are sure that the parking brakes are not dragging and confirmed that the rear end oil is at the proper level, road test the truck again and listen for noise. If the rear end is still noisy under deceleration , it could be that the pinion bearing has loosen up. You didn't mention noise all of the time.

If sounds like you have a few things to look into before you write off the rear end.

Good luck with your repair.