Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2002 Tahoe electronic issues...

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2015, 1:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2002 Tahoe electronic issues...

So I just got this 2002 Tahoe, that has some major *PIA* electronic issues. I have not had a chance to tear the door panels off yet, just trying to get some ideas before I start tearing her apart.

The FDS window and RPS window do not work. No noise or even attempt to move when button pressed. The lock/unlock button works intermittently, it will move the locks once or twice if I'm lucky, then it just makes noise like it wants to lock or unlock, but nothing moves on any of the doors. I do not have any keyless entry fobs at the moment, waiting on them to come in. So we'll see if that makes a difference. Otherwise I have tested every small fuse in the box and they are all alive and well. I have not figured out how to test (or even if it's possible) the relay fuses in the box. So if anyone knows how this can be done please let me know, otherwise I'll just go buy new ones and go from there.

I have not noticed any other major electronic issues other than the locks and the 2 windows. My turn signal lever is wobbly, but it functions. No radio issues, or int/ext lighting issues. All gauges work as well.

Any and all suggestions welcome. I'll update as I continue to work on these issues. Just brought her home 4 days ago, so haven't really had a chance to dive in to these yet. After new "shoes" and finding out she needs minor surgery (DS wheel bearing, PS upper ball joint, pitman arm and idler arm) before she can have a "chiropractor" treatment... I've been more focused on that than the inside. Otherwise the A/C only works on 5... but my husband assures me that this is normal for older Chevy's.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 7:41 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

The blower issue is the blower motor resistor. It's a ~$40 part and you can replace it yourself, and you'll once again have all your blower settings.

The window regulators are a known and common issue. They're also inexpensive to replace.

There are multiple fuse locations - the fuse block on the drivers side instrument panel includes some fuses/breakers for the locks and windows. Open the drivers door and you'll see a removable panel on the side of the instrument panel.
Old August 25th, 2015, 6:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Tahoe electronic issues...

I've located the fuse box and tested the fuses, but don't know how or if the relays can be tested.

Originally Posted by Stone2011
Otherwise I have tested every small fuse in the box and they are all alive and well. I have not figured out how to test (or even if it's possible) the relay fuses in the box. So if anyone knows how this can be done please let me know, otherwise I'll just go buy new ones and go from there.
Old August 26th, 2015, 5:20 PM
CF Active Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Stone2011
I've located the fuse box and tested the fuses, but don't know how or if the relays can be tested.
You can swap the relays around. If the problem moves to a different door then the relay is defective. Intermittent problems are tough, look for loose connectors, pinched wires, bad switches.