Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2003 6.0 Temp question

Old September 10th, 2016, 11:37 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, fan clutch! Sorry for the mistake
Old September 11th, 2016, 2:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just an update, autozone and O'Reilly have 2 part numbers for ,these trucks.

The one with the extra tang on top did not fit my truck. This is the 1 piece version, it has the thermostat built into the housing.

The one with only 2 bolt holes has a separate thermostat and that's the one that fit. I guess in the long run this might be better because now I can buy a t-stat for 12 bucks instead of buying the housing everytime.

Note: the one I pulled out only had 2 holes in the housing and it had the thermostat built in, so for this time I did have to buy a housing but next time I can just get a thermostat. I probably should have waited and gone to the dealer but it Sunday and they are closed.
Old September 11th, 2016, 2:45 PM
CF Beginner

Unfortunately the truck still heated up to about 230 in the driveway with both AC's on in about 20 minutes.
Old September 11th, 2016, 2:59 PM
CF Junior Member

Have you checked your coolant to water fixture? I run mine at 75% coolant to distilled water. (Can't check it while it is hot)
Old September 12th, 2016, 1:51 PM
CF Senior Member

50/50 or less of coolant. Coolant does not cool well, water does. Some guys run 20-40% coolant. Trust me I live in Phoenix I know extreme hot.

Last edited by Scotiapilot; September 12th, 2016 at 3:08 PM.
Old September 12th, 2016, 1:56 PM
CF Beginner

^^^ I agree with this. I put in a little less than 3 gallons, 2 of 50/50 and a little less than gallon of distilled water.
Old September 12th, 2016, 3:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Scotiapilot
50/50 or less of coolant. Coolant does not cool well, water does. Some guys run 20-40% coolant. Trust me I live in Phoenix I know extreme hot.
That is not true. Look at the label, it indicates more concentration of coolant, the better levels of protection in colder, and hotter weather (freezing point, and boiling point is lowered, and increased)
Old September 12th, 2016, 3:47 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by KNERD
That is not true. Look at the label, it indicates more concentration of coolant, the better levels of protection in colder, and hotter weather (freezing point, and boiling point is lowered, and increased)
Just because the boiling point is raised doesn't mean it cools better.

Water is a much better heat transfer fluid than ethylene glycol or propylene glycol.

Engine coolant's primary job is to transfer excess heat from the engine to the environment.

The engine cooling system is engineered to take advantage of water as the primary heat transfer fluid. Water is assigned a heat transfer value, specific heat, of 1.0.

Other fluids are compared to water. Higher vales transfer heat more poorly, while vales of less than 1.0 would transfer heat more efficiently. Ethylene glycol has a specific heat of 2.78, and propylene glycol has a specific heat of 2.73. At 50% water and 50% antifreeze, the specific heat of engine coolant is much closer to that of water.

This illustrates the necessity of mixing water and antifreeze to make engine coolant!

In very warm areas some operators use water with corrosion inhibitors. The use of water is successful because although the boiling point is lower than with glycol-based antifreezes, the heat transfer is better, and the operating temperature of the engine often decreases enough to avoid boil-over problems.

http://blendtech.biz/antifreeze-info...roperties.html

Last edited by mx5msm; September 12th, 2016 at 3:49 PM.
Old September 15th, 2016, 9:36 AM
CF Junior Member

That is ture, water can move heat much better than the glycol, but it cannot hold as much heat as it. When you are standing still, there is not as much cooling going on for a gasoline engine. Thus standing still which so much water, so of course you are going to starting exceeding the amount of heat the water can hold quite quickly.
Old September 23rd, 2016, 10:53 PM
CF Beginner

Just wanted to update this thread. I replaced the water pump, fan clutch and T-Stat with coolant drain and refill. Truck ran for 40 min in the driveway with both the front and rear AC on in 92* heat and barley moved from the 1/2 mark.

The dealer wanted just over 1k to do the work. I only asked because I was curious. I bought parts for just over 200 bucks and did it myself. It's actually pretty easy on these trucks and for 200 bucks I figured I may as well change it.

Search this Thread