Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

liftgate malfunction

Old Yesterday, 3:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default liftgate malfunction

Originally Posted by JeepinJeff
Thanks for the add. I have an issue I'm looking in to tonight before calling the dealer. 2013 Suburban with a power liftgate that seems to have a mind of its own. If left unlocked it will open and close on its own. I locked it on the inside with the button to stop it. It was also flashing the turn signal lights like you would be hitting the button the on the fob and locking the doors. Wife went to get in today and the battery was dead. I thought that was what was going on so put in a new battery today thinking the other was just weak and causing issues. Got home tonight, tailgate opened up on its own again. Anyone ever heard of this?
wow- not ONE reply, after all these years?
@JeepinJeff : did you ever get to the root of the problem? I’m having the exact same issue now! Tried removing the fuses for remote, and rear latch, but it was still flashing the rear lights and trying to open the lift gate, so now I’ve pulled the J-Fuse for “Lift Control Module” and locked it out - but that also won’t allow me to open the hatch at all (as there is no mechanical release button).
I need to get to the bottom of this also.

- was it the wiring in the “jumper harness” at the top of the lift gate, by chance?
Old Yesterday, 8:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 551 Posts

@2013 SuburbanLTZ
Jeff has not visited in 7 years and will not reply to you. Instead of reviving old threads ,you will get more help if you make your own. I've split off your question to it's own thread. Please post your vehicle info.
Old Yesterday, 9:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
@2013 SuburbanLTZ
Jeff has not visited in 7 years and will not reply to you. Instead of reviving old threads ,you will get more help if you make your own. I've split off your question to its own thread. Please post your vehicle info.
Thanks! (I didn’t go search his user profile or post history)

My issue is literally what he said. 👆

2013 Suburban LTZ (like my username)

ApprecIate any feedback/learnings anyone has had in the years since. I see several similar - but unresolved - threads which seem to suggest the most likely culprit is a frayed wire in the latch wiring harness between main cabin and liftgate. Any feedback greatly appreciated and I will of course also share my investigations and findings.
Old Yesterday, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 551 Posts

I would take off the panel and inspect the inside. Water intrusion from 11 year old aged rubber seals can cause electrical problems.