Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2003 Suburban DEFECT - rear hatch glass hinge breaking

Search this Thread

Old October 12th, 2006, 7:48 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2003 Suburban DEFECT - rear hatch glass hinge breaking

Brad,
You found one other person (so you say) with similar problem, congratulations!
I am definitely seeing an epidemic here now.
Old October 13th, 2006, 5:27 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brad:

You say you paid $36,000.00 cash for a one year old vehicle... Do you realize that your car is actually 4 years old now, not 1 year old. you also said you bought it from a dealership, I'm quite sure they offered you an extended warranty when you purchased it, dealerships make quite a bit of money selling warranties... Did you purchase an extended warranty? If so, why don't you take it up with your warranty company?

Jason
Old October 13th, 2006, 7:23 PM
CF Addict

From researching warranty claims and repair orders there is not a pattern of problems with the rear lift glass on the GMT800 platform products.
One problem with purchasing a used vehicle is that you never know what the previous owner may have done to contribute to the failure, for example: a kid standing on the back bumper pushing the glass up and beyond its range of travel or backing into a stationary object like a partly open garage door can attribute to such failures.

Generally speaking; an improperly built (or faulty engineered) component rarely takes 80k miles to fail and when they do, they do so in great numbers.
Old October 18th, 2006, 10:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

Brad,
You found one other person (so you say) with similar problem, congratulations!
I am definitely seeing an epidemic here now.
ZX1100F1 - The quote that I posted was to show how your negative responses MAY keep other people from posting on this forum, not a representation of other people who have had the same problem that I have experienced.

You have your head so far up your a$$ that you do not even realize why I posted that e-mail. Read it and see that she did not want to post due to the "rude" people who were on the forum.

Brad
Old October 18th, 2006, 10:40 AM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: jasonw75

Brad:

You say you paid $36,000.00 cash for a one year old vehicle... Do you realize that your car is actually 4 years old now, not 1 year old. you also said you bought it from a dealership, I'm quite sure they offered you an extended warranty when you purchased it, dealerships make quite a bit of money selling warranties... Did you purchase an extended warranty? If so, why don't you take it up with your warranty company?

Jason
Actually, it is just over 3 years old now, just slightly out of warranty They did not offer an extended warranty as it had the remainder of the factory warranty. What we are talking about here is not a warranty claim, but a defect in manufacturing. The Area Service Manager had said that the 3 only times he saw this problem, he refused to fix them under warranty EVEN THOUGH THOSE VEHICLES WERE STILL UNDER THE 3/36 FACTORY WARRANTY!

Brad
Old October 18th, 2006, 10:45 AM
CF Beginner

From researching warranty claims and repair orders there is not a pattern of problems with the rear lift glass on the GMT800 platform products.
One problem with purchasing a used vehicle is that you never know what the previous owner may have done to contribute to the failure, for example: a kid standing on the back bumper pushing the glass up and beyond its range of travel or backing into a stationary object like a partly open garage door can attribute to such failures.

Generally speaking; an improperly built (or faulty engineered) component rarely takes 80k miles to fail and when they do, they do so in great numbers.
Oh yeah - here's a little something from another forum. I know that it is for early '05 models, but I'll keep up the fight.

You are on the inside, you should have come across this as well.

[color=#330099]Reading your story, I got so upset at the run around the Area Service Manager gave you, that I made it my MISSION to prove that he was giving you customer deflection, rather than customer satisfaction.

What I found is directly from GM... in the form of a GM Customer Satisfaction campaign for the exact issue that you experienced, only GM limited this particular campaign to some early 2005 models. However these models are not the new style 2005 and 2006. The models covered by this campaign were the earliest 05 models built with that adhesive attached liftgate glass hinge, similar to the 2003 and 2004.

Since the campaign advisory was issued in July of 2004 (first or second month of '05 model year production), and was published on the dealer network well over two years ago, there is no excuse for the Area Service Manager to act like he never heard of this issue before. What a crock. If a lay person can find what I found below, then he certainly could have, with all of his official access, pass codes, informational meetings, etc. He was pulling a snow job, only his snow is yellow, and it stinks.

Here it is:

Customer Satisfaction - Liftgate Window Molding #04065 - (Jul 26, 2004)
04065 - Liftgate Window Molding
2005 Chevrolet Tahoe, Suburban

2005 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

ON JULY 20, 2004, ALL VEHICLES INVOLVED IN THIS PROGRAM WERE PLACED ON STOP DELIVERY. AFTER THE SERVICE PROCEDURE CONTAINED IN THIS BULLETIN IS COMPLETED, THE VEHICLES MAY BE DELIVERED TO CUSTOMERS.

Condition
General Motors has decided that certain 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburbans, and GMC Yukon and Yukon XL vehicles may have been built with an incorrect adhesive on the liftgate window molding, resulting in the possibility of the molding partially separating from the window.

Correction
Dealers are to replace the liftgate window.

Vehicles Involved
Involved are certain 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburbans, and GMC Yukon and Yukon XL vehicles built within these VIN breakpoints:

Year
Division
Model
From
Through

Chevrolet
Tahoe
5R100002
5R104810

Chevrolet
Suburban
5R100015
5R104788

GMC
Yukon
5R100004
5R104809

GMC
Yukon XL
5R100003
5R104808

Important
Dealers should confirm vehicle eligibility through GMVIS (GM Vehicle Inquiry System) prior to beginning program repairs. [Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints may be involved.]

For dealers with involved vehicles, a Campaign Initiation Detail Report containing the complete Vehicle Identification Number, customer name and address data has been prepared and will be loaded to the GM DealerWorld, Recall Information website. The customer name and address data furnished will enable dealers to follow up with customers involved in this program.

The Campaign Initiation Detail Report may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any other purpose is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this program.

Parts Information
Parts required to complete this program are to be obtained from General Motors Service Parts Operations (GMSPO). Please refer to your "involved vehicles listing" before ordering requirements. Normal orders should be placed on a DRO = Daily Replenishment Order. In an emergency situation, parts should be ordered on a CSO = Customer Special Order.

Part Number
Description
Qty/ Vehicle

Window, L/Gate

Bumper, L/Gate WDO

Service Procedure
The following procedure provides instructions for replacing the rear liftgate window assembly.

Open the rear liftgate window.
Disconnect the two electrical connectors that attach to the rear window defroster/defogger.

Carefully remove the retainer (clip) from both hinge pins. The retainers can be reused later in this procedure if they are not damaged.

Caution
When a window assist strut is being disconnected or connected, provide alternate support to avoid the possibility of damage to the vehicle or personal injury.

Notice
Apply pressure only at the end of the liftgate window assist strut that you are removing or attaching. Do NOT apply pressure to the middle of the rod because damage or bending will result.

With an assistant holding the liftgate window open, disconnect both assist struts from the brackets on the glass. With the lower end of the struts still connected to the liftgate, swing the struts down and out of the way.
With the aid of an assistance and with the window held open, slide or move the window slightly to the left to disengage the hinge from the hinge pin on the body. Once disengaged, remove the window from the vehicle.

Using a small, flat-bladed screwdriver, carefully pry out both window bumpers from the liftgate sheet metal.
Install new window bumpers in the liftgate.
With the aid of an assistant, position and align the hinges on the new liftgate window to the hinge pins located on the body.
Once aligned, move the window slightly to the right to engage the window hinges on the pins.

Important
The retainers (clips) that secure the liftgate window to the hinge pins should only be replaced if they were damaged during removal earlier in this procedure.

Install the retainers on the hinge pins to secure the window to the liftgate.
With an assistant holding the liftgate window fully open, reposition and connect both assist struts to the brackets on the glass.
Connect the two electrical connectors to the rear window defroster/defogger.
Slowly close the liftgate window and verify proper fit and alignment.
Claim Information
Submit a Product Program Claim with the information indicated below.

Repair Performed
Part Count
Part No.
Parts Allow
CC-FC
Labor Op
Labor Hours
Net Item

Install Liftgate Window Assembly
--
MA-96
V1212
0.3*
N/A

Courtesy Transportation
N/A
N/A
N/A
MA-96
N/A

Floor Plan Reimbursement
N/A
N/A
N/A
MA-96
V1213
N/A

* -- For Program Administrative Allowance, add 0.1 hours to the "Labor Hours".

** -- The "Parts Allowance" should be the sum total of the current GMSPO Dealer Net price plus applicable Mark-Up for the liftgate window and bumpers needed to complete the repair.

*** -- Submit courtesy transportation using normal labor operations for courtesy transportation as indicated in the GM Service Policies and Procedures Manual.

**** -- The amount identified in the "Net Item" column should represent the dollar amount reimbursed to the customer.

***** -- The amount identified in the "Net Item" column should represent the dollar amount shown below (not to exceed 14 days):

Vehicle: Chevrolet Tahoe
Reimbursement
The following users liked this post:
Anthony Chambers (May 27th, 2021)
Old October 18th, 2006, 1:21 PM
CF Addict

ORIGINAL: rxlrider

Actually, it is just over 3 years old now, just slightly out of warranty They did not offer an extended warranty as it had the remainder of the factory warranty. What we are talking about here is not a warranty claim, but a defect in manufacturing. The Area Service Manager had said that the 3 only times he saw this problem, he refused to fix them under warranty EVEN THOUGH THOSE VEHICLES WERE STILL UNDER THE 3/36 FACTORY WARRANTY!

Brad

Hey Einstein! 80,000 miles is not "Just slightly out of warranty" you stupid jerk.

And I am aware of the STB but it DOES NOT apply to YOUR old Suburban (can you read?)
Get your wallet out and pay the bill to get your old Suburban repaired and quit acting like a damn cry-baby, you got exactly what you paid for; a used vehicle that may a need a repair or two to keep it up.
Old October 18th, 2006, 1:27 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dumbass:

I just bought a brand new vehicle with a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty and a 3 year 36K bumper to bumper warranty, and guess what I still bought an extended warranty. Now I'm not rich enough to pay cash like you, but GM was nice enough to finance my extra $3,000.00 warranty into my financing. One more thing, since I'm not a complete idiot, my dealership trys working with me, not against me. Maybe if you weren't such a jackass they would have been more willing to help you.

Jason

PS. Polaris Sucks
Old October 18th, 2006, 6:11 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: rxlrider

Brad

Hey Einstein! 80,000 miles is not "Just slightly out of warranty" you stupid jerk.

And I am aware of the STB but it DOES NOT apply to YOUR old Suburban (can you read?)
Get your wallet out and pay the bill to get your old Suburban repaired and quit acting like a damn cry-baby, you got exactly what you paid for; a used vehicle that may a need a repair or two to keep it up.

?? Where do you get 80K from 60K (can't you read???), and where does that fit into the equation on a DEFECTIVE MANUFACTURING PROCESS?

I can read, I SAID THAT IT IS FOR A EARLY MODEL 2005, which had the same rear window as the 2003/2004 models. Why do you think that mid-year 2005 they changed the window.

Brad
Old October 18th, 2006, 6:13 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: jasonw75

Dumbass:

I just bought a brand new vehicle with a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty and a 3 year 36K bumper to bumper warranty, and guess what I still bought an extended warranty. Now I'm not rich enough to pay cash like you, but GM was nice enough to finance my extra $3,000.00 warranty into my financing. One more thing, since I'm not a complete idiot, my dealership trys working with me, not against me. Maybe if you weren't such a jackass they would have been more willing to help you.

Jason

PS. Polaris Sucks

Dumbass, Jackass, Polaris Sucks - Does mommy and daddy know that you are on the computer this afternoon?

Quick Reply: 2003 Suburban DEFECT - rear hatch glass hinge breaking