Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Clearance Lights, Reverse Aux Lights, and Backup Cameras

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2011, 7:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clearance Lights, Reverse Aux Lights, and Backup Cameras

Hey guys, so I'm new to this forum, and I have a few questions that maybe some of you could help me out with. I'm not sure if all of this stuff has been posted before or not, but bear with me.

I've owned my 2000 Suburban 2500 for a little over a year now, and I've noticed a few things that I'd like to change.

First of all, and the biggest issue I have with it, is there's little visibility when backing up at night, especially with the barn doors. I'd like to add some auxiliary lights that come on both when in reverse gear and also when a toggle switch is flipped. My issue is, I use the truck to tow a boat, so naturally the lights need to be completely waterproof. I'm looking to do all the work myself. Any tips or recommendations on which lights to use?

I've also been admiring the cab clearance lights on pickup trucks lately, and I'd like to possibly add some, though I'm weary about drilling holes in my roof, and also pulling the headliner down. I like the look of the old school amber lights, but I'm also just getting into the new school LED bars. Any opinions or tips, or favorite light kits/ones that are compatible with the 2000 3/4 ton Suburban?

Lastly, I'd like to add a rear view camera, mainly to ease the task of hooking up to a trailer. Again, it all needs to be waterproof, since I launch a boat, regularly, in a salt water environment. Recommendations/ideas?

Thanks for any help guys, and I hope to become a member of the Suburban owner's community!!

-Dave
Old August 21st, 2011, 8:09 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I've seen rear view cameras as part of the license frame so that should be high enuf to not get in the water.