2003 Suburban Parking Brake Adjustment - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

2003 Suburban Parking Brake Adjustment

CF Junior Member

November 2nd, 2009, 3:07 PM   #1  
2003 Suburban Parking Brake Adjustment

I recently adjusted my parking brake; it helped, but actually needs a little more adjustment. But almost all the adjustment was used up originally at the factory; how can I get more adjustment so my 2003 Suburban doesn't roll back at all in my driveway?

Thank you,
Richard

CF Veteran

Danbury Texas

November 2nd, 2009, 5:35 PM   #2  
you may need new parking brake shoes. I had disc brakes all around on my 01 ford and had to get new shoes for the parking brake.

Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Bowie, MD

November 2nd, 2009, 8:22 PM   #3  
You need to adjust them inside the drum. Rear rotors have a drum inside for the p-brake. Before you adjust it inside the drum you need to back off that adjustment. Adjust inside the drum first then that one if still needed. It is very common for the shoes to fall apart. Also make sure the actuators inside the drums move freely.

CF Junior Member

November 4th, 2009, 3:16 PM   #4  
Posted By: MDTAHOE You need to adjust them inside the drum. Rear rotors have a drum inside for the p-brake. Before you adjust it inside the drum you need to back off that adjustment. Adjust inside the drum first then that one if still needed. It is very common for the shoes to fall apart. Also make sure the actuators inside the drums move freely.
Thanks for the reply. Since my Suburban only has 40k miles on it, I was hoping that the answer wouldn't require pulling the rear rotor...

Richard

CF Junior Member

December 27th, 2009, 6:14 PM   #5  
Anyone have a step-by-step link or photos? Taking up the slack in the cable helped but didn't last, so I need to pull the rear wheel...

Thank you,
Richard

Tags
Search this Thread
Sponsors