Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Current Chevy Trucks, SUV's, Crossovers & Vans > Tahoe & Suburban
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Welcome to Chevrolet forum!
Welcome to Chevrolet forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Chevrolet forum today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2009, 03:07 PM
CF Junior Member

Default 2003 Suburban Parking Brake Adjustment

I recently adjusted my parking brake; it helped, but actually needs a little more adjustment. But almost all the adjustment was used up originally at the factory; how can I get more adjustment so my 2003 Suburban doesn't roll back at all in my driveway?

Thank you,
Richard

Click the image to open in full size.
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 11-02-2009, 05:35 PM
CF Veteran
2007 Chevrolet Silverado 2500

you may need new parking brake shoes. I had disc brakes all around on my 01 ford and had to get new shoes for the parking brake.
entertainment, rednek style.
Vote in the May TOTM Contest
Old 11-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

You need to adjust them inside the drum. Rear rotors have a drum inside for the p-brake. Before you adjust it inside the drum you need to back off that adjustment. Adjust inside the drum first then that one if still needed. It is very common for the shoes to fall apart. Also make sure the actuators inside the drums move freely.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDTAHOE View Post
You need to adjust them inside the drum. Rear rotors have a drum inside for the p-brake. Before you adjust it inside the drum you need to back off that adjustment. Adjust inside the drum first then that one if still needed. It is very common for the shoes to fall apart. Also make sure the actuators inside the drums move freely.
Thanks for the reply. Since my Suburban only has 40k miles on it, I was hoping that the answer wouldn't require pulling the rear rotor...

Richard
Old 12-27-2009, 06:14 PM
CF Junior Member

Anyone have a step-by-step link or photos? Taking up the slack in the cable helped but didn't last, so I need to pull the rear wheel...

Thank you,
Richard
Old 12-27-2009, 06:14 PM

Tags
03, 2003, 2500, adjustment, brake, chevy, emergency, gm, hd, park, parking, repair, silvarado, silverado, suburban