Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

blown muffler from accident

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2013, 2:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question blown muffler from accident

My parked Suburban was hit from the rear (driver side) 2 nights ago by a drunk driver. The guy's insurance company will pay for damages to the quarter panel, bumper and light. However, the claims adjuster refuses to cover my now blown muffler. He stated that it could not have been related to the accident because the muffler is on the other side. On my honor, the muffler never had that loud noise prior. The vehicle now sounds like a race car. I was given an estimate but I am not satisfied. I am ticked off!! What are your thoughts on how to convince this guy that he needs to re-examine his estimate? Thanks for your help.
Old September 19th, 2013, 8:46 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have your insurance company deal with his insurance company. They'll probably be more convincing than you alone.
Old September 19th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
Did you look to see if there was any physical damage to the muffler?
Old September 19th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

In my opinion, its is VERY plausible that the accident expedited the demise of your muffler... The internal baffles are welded in and a hard shock or blow could have broken them loose. It could also be the resonator at the end of the tail pipe....
I understand the adjusters position but I would push for at least some prorated cost... stand your ground on it, it can't be more then a few hundred dollars...

Have the underside and exhaust system inspected soon, as any externally visible cracks to welds will have tell tale signs of being old or new...