Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2004: Full Time AWD what does blinking light in LOW4 mean?

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2010, 10:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004: Full Time AWD what does blinking light in LOW4 mean?

I picked up this truck a few weeks ago...just now decided to try out LOW4. In "N" I select Low4 but nothing happens, it never engages and the light just blinks.

Can I pull codes on this with an OBD2 or will there be no codes since there is no EL?

What are the common failure trends?
Old February 10th, 2010, 6:15 AM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may need to let it roll forward a little, the blinking ight means that the front axle has not engaged yet.
Old February 10th, 2010, 10:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

mudmaniac hit it. my 04 gmc does the same thing. usually i put it in gear, let it idle forward just a bit. it'll engage within couple inches.
Old February 10th, 2010, 12:39 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for you input guys, I figured it out on my own.

You have to be in N for a 10-20 sec before the light quits blinking and then you can put it in D/R and go. I just figured with everyone electronic now you just push buttons, slow down and wait for it to shift...but not true.

I'm kind of amazed at how weak the technical knowledge is in the Chevy forums I'm visiting while trying to figure out and troubleshoot things with my new ride!

I won't mention the vehicles I usually own and drive who's forums are full of highly technical people. Is it due to the fact one forum is trying to cover 10 6 generations of Suburbans and they are fairly unique from model to model and thus should ahve their own focus!?!?
Old February 10th, 2010, 3:27 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm kind of amazed at how you have come to that conclusion after one question, maybe you should try your owner's manual next time. This forum is full of very knowledgeable members who try to give a simple reply to a simple question. Ask a technical question and you will get a technical answer.
Old February 10th, 2010, 3:38 PM
CF Beginner

I appropriate any good feedback but please don't make so many assumptions about my experience. My concern is valid and I was simply stating/asking if a single Suburban forum is just to general. What does my 2004 Stabilink Suburban have in common with my dad's 1986 454ci? very little...

I have joined three forums and this one seems to have the most traffic and thus best opportunity of great answers. I have scanned the posts in great detail reviewing comments and questions, and thus drew my conclusions. I've learned from 10+ years of being online with auto forums that if you dare ask a question that is covered, 101 people will point out it has been covered!

So my comment is not based on one reply to one post...I'm just trying to figure out which forums and which sub forums are best for advanced discussion!

And if I had a manual...I would have looked!
Old February 10th, 2010, 8:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey carboncow. This doesn't really sound like a good fit for you. Maybe you should keep looking for a better forum.