Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:37 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

2004 Suburban AC - Blows HOT

Old May 21st, 2007, 1:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Suburban AC - Blows HOT

I have a 2004 Chevy Suburban with both front and rear AC. Today, the front stopped blowing cold air and blew hot air while the rear continuted to blow cold air. The controls were all set to AC, but the air coming out of the front vents was HOT.

Just before this happened, I replaced the Battery as the origional unit would not take a charge.

I checked the AC related Fuses in the driver side panel, but they seemed ok.

Any suggestions?
Old August 27th, 2007, 10:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 2004 Suburban AC - Blows HOT

I didn't see any responses. Just wondering if you got it fixed and if so what was done.

I just had the same problem. the original battery wasn't holding the charge, so i replaced it. after doing so the passenger side was blowing hot air while the drivers side was cold as well as the back
Old September 12th, 2007, 8:44 PM
CF Beginner

New to the forum here. I searched for this specific problem due to my 2005 Z71 Suburban blowing hot air on hte passenger side periodically. Doesn't do it all the time just every once in awhile. I have not changed the battery or removed it. Was hoping to see a response to your question as well.
Old October 24th, 2007, 1:51 PM
CF Beginner

I have the exact problem 2004 Suburban. Just changed battery this morning and wife is complaining about the Hot air from the A/C.. There must be a reset switch somewhere.

HELP!!
Old October 24th, 2007, 2:05 PM
CF Beginner

Just got an answer from Chevy Dealer. When you replaced the battery it loses its memory as to where the door actuators were (the flaps that control the heat and A/C).

The fix:
Turn everything off and let the car sit overnight. The computer should reset itself during its learnings process.
In the morning turn on the ignition and let the car run for a few minutes before turning on the climate control.

If this doesn't work, plan on 1-1.5hours of labor for a technician to reset the actuators at the dealership.

Good luck.
Old January 19th, 2012, 9:36 AM
CF Beginner

Same thing happened to me although not sure if it first happened before or after I changed the battery. Also, sometimes the rear air will blow hot when the front is fine. It's wierd. :-) I have found that turning the vehicle off & letting it sit for a few minutes TYPICALLY resets the compute & fixes the problem.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 9:24 PM
CF Beginner

Wink

This simple actuator calibration worked for me,

Place the ignition switch to the OFF position.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o>Remove the HVAC/ECAS fuse (which is located in the fuse box under the hood) for a minimum of 10 seconds. <o></o>
Install the HVAC/ECAS fuse. <o></o>
Start the vehicle. <o></o>
Wait 40 seconds for the HVAC control module to self-calibrate. Do not adjust the A/C controls until after 40 second or so.
At first the air was very hot then it went to cold and all was well again. Good luck. <o></o>
</o>
Old July 27th, 2012, 5:11 PM
CF Beginner

I tried the above with no success, anyone else have luck with this?
Old August 5th, 2012, 11:48 AM
CF Beginner

I also tried pulling the fuses, with no luck. Have you tried anything else? I am having a similar problem with my 2004 Sub.
Old August 6th, 2012, 7:25 AM
CF Beginner

Well, that fix I posted only lasted 2 days. So I found the actuator on the passengers side, where the air vent is and removed the 2 screw closest to the passenger door and pulled down the plastic cover to expose the actuator thats causing this issue, then turned on the A/C (mine starts up cold then turns hot) so when it was cold I disconnected the wiring hardness before it switched to hot. This has lasted me 2 weeks so far until I can figure out my next move.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 Suburban AC - Blows HOT