Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2004 Suburban - Oil Pressure Low Message

Old March 29th, 2013, 9:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Suburban - Oil Pressure Low Message

I have a 2004 Burb with 150,000 miles 4WD. At about 65,000 miles the oil pressure low computer message came on and I had the vehicle serviced by replacing the oil pump and the oil pressure sensor. The vehicle spec out at factory specs for pressure but the oil pressure low message dings when the vehicle is idling or stopped while driving. We have driven the vehicle for an additional 85,000 miles with this annoying ding with no engine problems. No one has been able to tell me what the problem is...recommendations are new engine, drop pan and change stem that moves oil from the pan to the engine, clogged screens. I really don't want to put a bunch of money into this vehicle and I had a friend tell me about this forum. Any advice?
Old March 29th, 2013, 10:18 AM
CF Active Member

Welcome to the forum.

You mention in your note that oil pressure is within spec. I assume by this that the oil pressure has been checked through a secondary gauge. If the oil pressure is within spec and the low pressure warning light is coming on, there appears to be a problem with your instrument cluster. What is the pressure showing on the dash gauge? Is it the same as what the oil pressure shows on the test gauge?

One option is to get a aftermarket oil pressure gauge and mount it on the driver's side window A pillar. You can get mount kits that allow you to mount aftermarket gauges easily.

00-06 Chevy Suburban Triple Pillar Pod

You could also have the instrument cluster replaced. This require programing.

2004 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN 1500 Dorman OEM Remanufactured Instrument Clusters 599-300 - SummitRacing.com

You have a lot of miles on the truck and as you said, you don't want to put a lot of money into it. If it is a problem with the cluster, you should be able to disconnect the chime. As long as you have an accurate gauge, you can make sure all is well.

Good luck with your repair.
Old March 29th, 2013, 1:33 PM
CF Beginner

I'd disconnect the stock sensor and go with an aftermarket unit. Autometer has some inexpensive digital gauges that you can mount in an assortment of pods or pillar mount as mulmur1 suggested. From my experience, the stock gauges such as oil pressure and coolant temp are junk anyways. Just my $.02

Good luck!
Old March 30th, 2013, 8:56 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks mulmur1! THe car was pressure tested manually and tested to factory specs in idle mode. When idling, the gauge reads 6 and while driving about 35. I agree that it might be the dash gauge cause I've tried just about everything else. How do you disconnect the chime? I can live with the reading on the dash, but the chime is the annoying thing? Any leads or ideas?
Old March 30th, 2013, 8:58 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks reynoldsrobbie! Is it that easy, just pull the connection from the back of the gauge?
Old March 30th, 2013, 10:12 AM
CF Active Member

You will have to disconnect the power to the chime. With the chime on, trace the wires to the chime and disconnect it. Unfortunately, the chime is used for a number of other errors with the vehicle, so you may have to watch your gauges more than you used to. However, I am sure that once the chime is disconnected, you will enjoy driving your vehicle more.

I am glad to hear that your pressure is fine.

Good luck with the repair.