Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2005 Burb, engine power reduced?

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2016, 12:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Burb, engine power reduced?

So my wife and I purchased a 05 Suburban about a year ago, it is a 1500 Z71 off road with all the bells and whistles of the day. A few months ago when she was on her way home the dash alert started dinging and the info panel gave a message of "Engine Power Reduced" along with the check engine light on. I did some digging and could not find anything wrong, and after a few turn off/on cycles it would stop and the light would go off. I hooked up a code reader and it gave a TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) so I replaced not only the sensor but also the whole throttle body as well, that seemed to fix it until this weekend when it did it again!! I need help! Just so everyone knows, I am more of a part replacer and less of a diagnostic mechanic, but due to lack of $ I often times need to "act" like I can diagnose. Any help would be very much appreciated!! Thanks a lot.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 7:55 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was it the TPS sensor again? Did you replace with new or with a used one? Was that the only code?

You might be better off getting a bluetooth or wifi obd connection to use with the torque app and your phone. You could run a series of tests and kinda see whats in and out of spec possibly from those readings or see if there are other "pending" codes. I don't recall what sets that message per se...maybe a misfire?

I had a TPS code on mine that oddly enough would only happen when I was parked at a specific angle...typically at the airport of all places. I cleaned my TB and maf sensor and it hasn't come back. But I could use the torque app...clear the code and it would stay gone until the situation occurred again. I just got tired of it lol.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 1:38 PM
CF Beginner

It is the Throttle Position Sensor and I believe it was a new one? I don't know if it is the same code yet as I have not been able to get it hooked up to a reader yet. As far as I know there were no other codes on it the last time.

I have never heard of the torque app with Bluetooth obd? Any idea of cost and a good app?

I was wondering if it could be one of the other sensors to like the problem you were having, but I'm not sure and do you think that the Bluetooth obd phone app would see any other problems that a regular code reader would not see?

Thanks for all of the advice and help!!
Old July 7th, 2016, 8:36 PM
CF Beginner

Same issue with mine I have an 03 Chevy Tahoe 4.8 V8 I've had it 5 months engine light came on reduced power light came on I have replaced throttle body throttle body pigtail the ground on the back of the engine seems tight I'm having the same issues has anyone found an actual fix for it? It's still throwing throttle body codes my throttle body that I put on it as a brand new throttle body
Old July 8th, 2016, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by outdoorguy1979@yahoo.com
Same issue with mine I have an 03 Chevy Tahoe 4.8 V8 I've had it 5 months engine light came on reduced power light came on I have replaced throttle body throttle body pigtail the ground on the back of the engine seems tight I'm having the same issues has anyone found an actual fix for it? It's still throwing throttle body codes my throttle body that I put on it as a brand new throttle body
As you have done, others have attempted numerous approaches to this problem, but, one issue seems to come up every time, that being...

Your vehicle has several grounds about it, R&R each, brush, clean, make shiny seems to help most, try that.
Old November 29th, 2016, 11:10 AM
CF Beginner

I have engine reduced power as well, pulled codes

C0240
P0101 - "FA"
P0102
P0131
P0300
P0522
P0641
P1516
U0107
P2108

my mechanic recently "said" he replaced throttle body, oil sending unit, mass air flow, cam sensor

But yet all the codes relate back to those parts?????

Im not sure what to do, he has it now and knows all codes. A lot of low voltage defintions. Does anyone know anything?