Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2005 Chevy Taho 5.3L V8-Gas Autoride Suspension

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2015, 5:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Chevy Taho 5.3L V8-Gas Autoride Suspension

Well Let me start by saying Hello. I am new to this forum but should have joined this a long time ago

I have a 2005 Chevy Tahoe.

During the worse part of the Recession as I was unemployed for about five years I needed new shocks and the mechanic bypassed my Z55 autoride and replaced my shocks with regular shocks.

I just replaced all the shocks with the OEM Autoride (very expensive Z55 shocks)
I also replaced the entire air compressor assembly
and finally I did replace the 30 amp fuse that the shop removed.

My last step is finding out how the old repair shop overrode the computer service autoride on the computer. I have read there are some resistors that they could have replaced or the only other alternative was to remove it from the computer.

I should note that the repair shop I had used was in Louisville, KY (Pro-Bilt and he was an incredible guy that I trusted very much just a short plug for him) and I am now living in Los Angeles, CA

Question 1:is where would I find these resistors to remove them if this was the way they bypassed the system
Question 2: If they removed the Z55 RPO code how will I know that and how would I reprogram it? would a dealer have to do this?
Question 3: what would be a rough guess on a reprogramming fee by a dealer I should expect since I have already sank nearly $1,900 dollars into this suspension system there is no turning back.
Question 4: What other items might I check as to why the air compressor has yet to come on and if you know of

I am an average mechanic at best but thanks to youtube, google and the fact that my brother (Who lives in Atlanta, GA) is a very good mechanic and consultant to me, I have been able to fix pretty much everything that has ever gone wrong with my truck to date.

If I sound fairly informed of this subject it is only because I do research and I have Google university and youtube to thank for that. Unfortunately for this issue I am stumped and hoping I can ad a special thanks to the Chevy Forum for furthering my Chevy mechanical education.
Old May 20th, 2015, 6:15 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I would start looking for the resistors at the end of the cable that was plugged into the original Autoride shocks.
Old May 20th, 2015, 6:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm guessing those resistors would have to be put on each of the shocks and would be a wire that is spliced into the wires at the top of each shock?
Old May 21st, 2015, 8:00 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The resistors would just be connected to wire harness. Or the wire harness cut off and a resistor in its place. If you have put the new autoride stuff back on already and been successful in plugging all the shocks back in, then you likely removed the resistors in the process.

If your questioning that something isn't working, you could always disconnect the electrical connector from the shocks and see if you get a warning light or some other indication of fault.

I'm not sure on the 2005 but I believe on the 2007 there is a controller of some sort underneath the truck I think that runs the compressor, maybe other things.

If he cut and spliced in resistors, your going to have a heck of a time connecting them back up if you don't have the connector ends. If your handy with a soldering iron you might be able to make it work, but I don't know how you would determine which wire goes where without the connector.