Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:37 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

2009 suburban driver side hot air

Search this Thread

Old September 10th, 2010, 12:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 suburban driver side hot air

nothing is more frustrating than a phantom problem . sometimes it's there , other times not .
my 2009 suburban is blowing hot air on the driver side some times , even if I set the temperature to cold . some times I get luke warm air , other times hotter than hot . if I turn both ( driver and passenger ) controls all the way up for 10 minutes , it seems to fix the problem when I set them back to cold .
today I went to a shop ( not chevy ) and they said they had the same problem and with some other truck , replace all there was to replace and still didn't fix the thing , so I guess its not that easy to find the glitch .
while I have no problem turning the temp up and down , when I have passengers it doesn't fly . also , it seems that the problem is not there in the morning when i start the car , but it eventually sneaks up on me after a couple of hours of driving .
assuming I'm not the first one with this bug , please send me any suggestions .
thank you
stefan
driverstefan@yahoo.com
Old September 10th, 2010, 5:47 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the same issue and my cousin said they told him its a common thing and its would be very expensive to get fixed. He also told me try and put the A/C on full blast turn the truck to the on position without turning on for 10 seconds then try and turn it on and it should fix the issue its been working for me so far. Hope it works for you aswell, keep us updated.
Old September 10th, 2010, 8:59 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

driverstefan: Welcome to the forum.

Possibly could be a software issue. Take to a dealer and have them check it.
Old September 11th, 2010, 10:08 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
driverstefan: Welcome to the forum.

Possibly could be a software issue. Take to a dealer and have them check it.
x2!

Disconnect the NEG side of battery for 30min. See if this fixes it. When you start it up, DON'T touch any controls for 5min. Let it reset itself. Happen on my 2004 Avalanche.
Old October 17th, 2010, 10:22 AM
CF Beginner

i kept turning the car off and back on and it helped for a while . now , instead of going full hot on me it just goes to warm for 30 sec or so and then back to cold . it does it pretty often , like every 10 minutes or so . it feels like a sensor is going crazy
Old August 14th, 2012, 1:02 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2009 Gremlin

i have the same problem with a 2009 tahoe in order to get cold air i have to turn off all driver side vents and let the air blow just from pass. side, also what has worked is working the temp control on both sides up and down until a working result on temp, any suggestions would be great weather its a software issue, temp control module or just a new switch
Old August 15th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by foxx50gt
i have the same problem with a 2009 tahoe in order to get cold air i have to turn off all driver side vents and let the air blow just from pass. side, also what has worked is working the temp control on both sides up and down until a working result on temp, any suggestions would be great weather its a software issue, temp control module or just a new switch
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I'm sorry you are experiencing this issue with your Tahoe vehicle. This may be due to an HVAC control module. This is just a suggestion, not a diagnosis. I recommend consulting with a certified technician for an official diagnosis.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old June 2nd, 2013, 11:09 AM
CF Beginner

I had the same problem, 2009 Suburban blowing hot air out the driver side vents. My solution was to take off the hot/cold actuator and just move it manually to cold for the summer. I got under the passenger side dash, removed the cover over the HVAC system, 3 7mm screws. Found the actuator, unplug the red connector, then removed the two 5.5mm screws holding it in. I then reached up moved the vent flapper to all the way cold. Worked like a champ! Then I decided to take apart the actuator and see what's going on inside. Inside I found grease was on the contact points that tell the computer where the flapper is. I cleaned these contact points, reinstalled and is working great! I've been thinking this was going to be a $1000 job because of all the other comments. SO glad this fix was so easy and didn't cost me a dime, wish I would have done this last summer.
Old June 2nd, 2013, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Nick Farmer Welcome to the forum
Thanks for posting your fix, it would be my guess that when you unplugged the unit it may have reset itself and may have went through the learn process...
The grease is an electrical contact grease, its to help prevent wear on the contacts and prevent corrosion...

To force the HVAC "learn' procedure removed the HVAC fuse and re-install or simply disconnect the battery... Turn the to key start but don't crank, wait about 1 min for the system to relearn, do not adjust any of the HVAC settings as it could cause the system to go hot on one side and cold on the other or just be plain confused...

You may be able to hear the actuator move as it learns its position...
Old June 4th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Nick Farmer,

I am glad to hear you were able to find a resolution for your vehicle concern. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to private message me.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Service

Quick Reply: 2009 suburban driver side hot air