Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2005 Yukon 4 x 4

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2015, 5:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Yukon 4 x 4

Not familiar with how these 4x4 work. Took my Yukon xl into the sand dunes. In park I press the h4 button to engage the 4x4 proceeded to get in the sand and got stuck in a soft patch.
The odd thing is this, when trying to get out, I would press on the gas but the truck would not spin any of the tires, it wouldn't rev hi as if in neutral. I would just not do anything I even floor the pedal but the engine, or wheels would respond. With help from others we pushed back to where I had some tracking and the forward.
Even tho I was on the gas it move slowly but I got out. I decided it was not fun to get stuck, so I drove out. Went uphill through the sand and out to the hard pack dirt. Not sure if this is normal, I expected all 4 wheel to at least spin or if the tranny was bad for it to slip but instead I got nothing. Is there something wrong with my 4x4?
Old August 24th, 2015, 9:33 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like the transfer case was in Neutral.
Old August 25th, 2015, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Much of the 4WD problems we see here, are due to not using the 4WD. When there isn't some reasonable use, things can get goopy/sluggish in the drive mechanisms, and it appears as there is a problem.

I would suggest that (on dry pavement) that you shift into and out of 4hi several times, and when in 4hi, shift in and out of 4lo at least once a month. When in either 4 hi or lo, one will detect this, given that when turning, the front wheels seem to bind and abruptly slow the vehicle. This is a normal function.

IF this is not a vehicle you've had for some time, I'd suggest that you have the Fluid changed in both Differentials and the Transfer Case. This in and of it's self can make things operate much better.

Last edited by SWHouston; August 25th, 2015 at 10:30 AM.
Old August 25th, 2015, 1:27 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default rolling

I've found it's best to be rolling when switching.

To switch from 2H to 4H, roll between 10-20 MPH (you can up to 55 I believe)

to go from 4H to 4L, you need to be between 1-5 mph.

If you are stopped, it's harder for the system to engage/disengage.
Old August 25th, 2015, 2:32 PM
CF Beginner

I have switch it while on pavement and have felt the difference as pointed out. Some one else told me that it sounded like traction control because even with the gas pedal to the floor I was not getting engine Rev
Or power to the wheels
Old August 25th, 2015, 2:34 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds to me like the traction control was kicking in and reducing engine power. Never been a fan of these types of systems.

Besides, if you don't have the G80 locking rear diff, even if 4wd is engaged, all you need is one front and one rear tire slipping, and you're stuck.

Also, airing down your tires makes a big difference in the sand and dunes. Just make sure you don't go so low as to pop a bead.
Old August 28th, 2015, 3:23 PM
CF Beginner

still confused on what happened and why. I know car was not moving, engine not revving , wheels not turning. On my other cars, traction control kicks in when it detects wheel spin and it cuts off fuel to the engine. Well, none of my tires were spinning. Again, was in 4H, pedal to the floor, no engine revving or tires moving. Worked normal in 2wd.. so confused