Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 chevy suburban consuming oil and apparently not the only one!

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2014, 2:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2007 chevy suburban consuming oil and apparently not the only one!

Hello I have a 2007 chevy suburban that I purchased less then 2 years ago. I noticed last year right after an oil change my add oil light would come on. I thought it was strange took it to chevy dealer who started oil consumption test (had to pay for oil test and return every 500 miles to check oil and document) which was hard for me because of work and having 3 small children but it had to be done. I took it in over a period of 4 months before the service manager stated GM would recognize as it consuming oil.

Now my suv has been in the shop for a week service advisor stated needs pistons and rings to only find out my extended warranty will not cover because of a bulletin GM has posted that these vehicles need an updated valve covers and other things!!!! Which come out to $1,800.00 before the can replace piston and rings!! What a joke, why wouldn't the service advisor or service manager tell me about the bulletin and how many other people are having this problem? There should be a recall if anyone wants to see how many people are having this oil consumption problem just search chevy oil consumtion and everyone's complaints pop up!

Spoke to GM its a joke nothing can be done. I would never refer anyone to buy a chevy now. Its a shame when my whole family own chevy's!
Old June 11th, 2014, 6:35 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sucky situation all around. I just bought a 2007 Tahoe myself. I was all set to buy the extended warranty (not a GM one, not sure what you have) until I read up on what a pita they can be to file a claim with. Mine has lots of miles but I knew that. As for issues, well after a week I'm already waiting on rear shocks to the tune of $400, and looking at local yards for used front axles since both my boots are torn. Just hoping that tides me over for 6 months or so when I'll need new tires. Ahh the fun of new used trucks! Lol
Old June 11th, 2014, 6:53 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey tsubchavezfam,

I'm very sorry to hear of the difficulties that you have been experiencing with your Suburban. I can understand your dissatisfaction and I will definitely document your post within our system. Please feel free to keep up updated with the status of your vehicle. We will be glad to document any other feedback within our system as well. Please feel free to send us a private message if you have any other questions or concerns.

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old June 11th, 2014, 8:23 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

to tic you can get the front cv joints (axles) at autozone with lifetime warranty for around $70 ea. not too hard to change
Old June 12th, 2014, 9:47 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. Actually on rock auto you can get cardone ones for $38. I have heard they are made in china and eventually have problems though. So the reasoning behind looking at the local yards is so I have low mileage actual replacement parts.

Seems you have to take the shock out to be able to swing the axle out....not to derail this thread, but does anyone know if that is the case?
Old June 18th, 2014, 5:15 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't have to completely remove it. Just loosen it and swing it out of the way. Not too hard. 3 nuts on top 2 bolts on bottom. Yeah. If you're gonna do all that then just remove it completely. Makes it easier. I removed mine because I was changing it anyway.

Last edited by trainwreck91; June 18th, 2014 at 5:46 PM.