Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 door handles turning into razor blades

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2014, 8:48 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Try gmpartsdirect.com.
Old March 26th, 2014, 9:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My local dealership told me that GM would not replace my door handle because it didn't exceed 400 dollars...
Old October 21st, 2014, 11:10 PM
CF Beginner

I just purchased my suburban and have the same problem. I am afraid one of my family will cut their hands on the handles. The problem with this is my vehicle has over 100k on it. I called the dealership and they said my VIN lined up with the group of vins that it would qualify for the repair but since my vehicle had over 100k I was just on my on!!!
Old October 22nd, 2014, 10:50 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by detannas
I just purchased my suburban and have the same problem. I am afraid one of my family will cut their hands on the handles. The problem with this is my vehicle has over 100k on it. I called the dealership and they said my VIN lined up with the group of vins that it would qualify for the repair but since my vehicle had over 100k I was just on my on!!!
We're sorry to hear about your door handles, detannas. We understand your vehicle is outside of warranty and your dealership advised you'd be responsible for any associated repair costs. Although we cannot guarantee a different outcome, we'll gladly explore additional options with your dealer. If interested, please PM us your VIN, exact mileage, contact info and dealership name.

Thanks,
Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old January 2nd, 2015, 10:27 AM
CF Beginner

Default Was hoping for an exception!!

Original owner of my 2009 LTZ Suburban and never complained about anything. My family has cut themselves on these door handles a couple of times and shame on me for not looking into it sooner and realizing it was a known issue. Unfortunately I'm at 113k miles and called customer service in hopes of them making a good will exception considering the mileage. They logged complaint and said they would be in contact. Received a call from the dealer a short time later and they said that my vehicle was too old and quoted me $225 PER HANDLE! I told him that I would wait for Chevy to call me back in hopes of working something out and he said it wouldn't do any good, it would be the same outcome, and to think I was considering purchasing a new Suburban next year, wow!
Old January 3rd, 2015, 6:26 AM
hcm
CF Beginner

Default You should call a lawyer and sue them

It's incredible they said that to you. Their product injured you for a known reason that was due to poor design and/or manufacturing. As you, and your lawyer and the judge and jury, can see from this forum, they have a defective product that they are aware is slicing people's hands every week. To tell you "so sorry, it's too late to complain"...EVER...is unconscionable. These handles sliced my wife's hand about three years ago, and neither one of us could have imagined a hazard like that - it was as if someone had hidden a razor blade in the door handle, because the chrome had somehow lifted up where before it had been smooth. Fortunately she did not need stitches, and fortunately Chevrolet stepped up and had them replaced for free, although the truck was four years old and I was the second owner. Frankly, if they hadn't, I would have contacted a lawyer then, although I didn't threaten to. Everyone is now aware of GM's record of covering up safety issues and that's why, when people do win cases against GM, the awards are extremely high because the courts want to send a signal about this kind of corporate irresponsibility.

Anyway I'm surprised, given what I've seen from others in this forum, and my own experience, that they have decided there is EVER a limit to their stepping up to the responsibility they certainly have for keeping their customers and others away from known hazards of their own making. You really should call a lawyer - it make take you a few calls, but you will before long find someone who has experience successfully suing GM - all you have to do it google search under "GM neglect", "GM class action" or read the many articles about successful cases.
Old January 12th, 2015, 10:04 AM
CF Beginner

Default No exception, not even a call

So here I am after an entire week (6 business days) and I still haven't received a call from customer service nor has a customer care rep replied to my post. This is unreal, especially considering I understood I had over 100k miles and was willing to pay $100 deductible. Paid $55k for a Suburban and I can't get a call back over an obvious defect and potential hazard that can slice a hand. Thanks Chevy!
Old January 14th, 2015, 10:26 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi jflores23,

i'm so sorry for your continued frustration with this situation. Please send us a private message with your VIN and full contact information. We'd like to look into your case for you. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old May 22nd, 2015, 11:21 AM
CF Beginner

I have the same issue on my 2007 Avalanche I bought in January of 2014. It only has 47K miles. Do I qualify for a free replacement?
Old May 7th, 2017, 9:41 AM
CF Beginner

Default Chrome overlay peeling - child's finger cut

I would like to know if there is an option of having the peeling chrome levers replaced with a lever that does NOT have the chrome overlay. For example, could they be replaced with a plain black lever? I do not want to have this issue again!

Quick Reply: 2007 door handles turning into razor blades